Opinions about Hammerli 106 FP and 207 SP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SteveT

Opinions about Hammerli 106 FP and 207 SP

Post by SteveT »

I have an opportunity to buy a Hammerli 106 and a Hammerli 207. I would like to know opinions, as I know very little about them.

Before you recommend a TOZ FP, I know. However, this is available at a really good price, and quite frankly, I just want to give FP a try. If I was serious, I would get a TOZ or Morini.

How does the 207 stack up against the 208 and more modern guns? Is it just an early model, or did they find all the bugs with the 207, before coming out with the 208? I would use it for SP and NRA Bullseye. Is it suitable?

Thanks,
Steve T
Jim B.

Post by Jim B. »

I don't know much about the 207, but considering that the it is part of a lineage beginning with the Hammerli-Walther Olympia through to the 208, it is certainly not just a prototype. It does, I believe, have a single stage trigger like the 208 (as opposed to the 208s).
The 106 is reliable, accurate, and beautifully made. It is, as you may know, the last of the 100 series. Parts are not hard too come by, (not that breakages are generally a problem). Many people still use the 106. There are features which some consider obsolete. The bore line rides higher above the grip line. This makes muzzle lift more noticeable, (but straight back recoil less noticeable). However, canting the grip will have less of an effect on bullet impact, since sight line and bore line are closer. Also, the early 100 series, and I think this includes the 106, uses a passive firing pin in the breach block struck by an internal hammer, which can make for a slightly longer lock time (thus making good follow through critical). Later free pistols such as the Hammerli 150-152, (not to mention the TOZ) use a short travel firing pin cocked within the beach block, which contrubes to a faster lock time, especially when used with an electronic trigger. To me, success with any free pistol depends heavily on comfort and familiarity. If you like the feel, I think you'd be pleased with the 106, and the 207 for that matter.
Happy Shooting!
SteveT

Hammerli Pistol Info

Post by SteveT »

Thank you very much for the helpful info.