Manurhin MR 32 Match DA or SA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Hi,
I plan to buy a target revolver Manurhin MR 32 Match and it comes in two versions Single Action or Double Action.

I will only shoot target shooting (prec. and duell)

Is the DA weaker in any aspect?
What is the reason for making an SA if it is not better for something?

Regards
Kent
David M

Post by David M »

I shoot a Manurhin .38 Match but have owned a .32 in the past. Both the .32 and the .38 in the match version come with single action only, heavy match barrel and extended rear sight.
I dont think they do a double action in a .32 but there is a sport version of the .38 in double action in a 2 1/2", 4". and a 6" version.
If you want a ISSF centrefire gun go for the single action Match, if you want it for NRA or a Service match go for the sport.
Be warned if you do a trigger job on the sport .ie bobbed hammed and smoothed double action, go very carefully as the hammer trigger case hardening is very shallow. You may have to have them re hardened after re working, but they work very very well.
My choice would be the .38 special, I think it is better all round.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

In Sweden they are nearly all DA, you will face a less second hand value if SA.

I must admit, the .38 is easier to reload, the .32 is very sensitive for any variations (at 1.2 grain it does not take match)

In centerfire recoil is of no importance.

If all is in favor of the .38, .38 it is.

Regards
Kent
ferret

Re: Manurhin MR 32 Match DA or SA

Post by ferret »

Reinhamre wrote:In Sweden they are nearly all DA, you will face a less second hand value if SA.
Which, as you and I know, is because most who get them get them to shoot field target with. And then start using them for centre fire too, because they're so good.

.38 vs .32: I've got a S&W, but the principle is the same and I choose .38. It looks like recoil difference doesn't matter even in field target.

SA vs DA: SA should theoretically give a better trigger. Lots of S&W K38s were SA when they were top of the line for ISSF shooting. But you'd have to take a look inside a Manurhin to judge if that goes for its mechanism as well, since it's a bit different. If I was *sure* I'd never need DA, I'd get the SA version. Resale value doesn't matter much if you keep it a long time.

Post by Guest »

38 match and 32 match are SA out of factory. They could became DA by adding a small part in the trigger mechanism. 38 and 32 match are on the same mechanism as the MR73 which is a 357/38 (in fact a real 355).
Trigger is one of the best that could be found and very easy to adjust with two separate springs, one for hammer and one for trigger, each one had is own screw to adjust.

Both 38 and 32 match are great shooter.

I had own and shoot a 38Match and whatever said those who claim that recoil is less with a 32, i prefer the recoil of the 38. Reloading is much more easier with the 38, a simple careful reload with average quality components will give you 1" group at 25m with this kind of shooter.
The same accuracy could be obtain with the 32, but reloading will be more painfull.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

This discussion will realy help, it is a huge problem when it comes to choosing the right gun for center fire.
It is easier to use a pistol like Walther or Pardini but then you must use .32 SW (Yes, there is Hammerli 240 in .38 spec.) and we all know how difficult that is, furthermore there is a problem with malfunctions, it will of course not feed well in important competitions.

So, revolvers do have advantages, do we all agree upon that.

I have already a revolver SW 586, from when they started to manufacture the model, with a superb trigger. Since it is a .357 I assume it will not be the best with .38 spec. and it is a lot heavier then a Manhurin even more if I want to add a little in the front. Training 3 hour/day can cause injuries.

Regards
Kent
ferret

Post by ferret »

Reinhamre wrote: I have already a revolver SW 586, from when they started to manufacture the model, with a superb trigger. Since it is a .357 I assume it will not be the best with .38 spec.
Well, it's of course heavier since it's built stronger, but accuracy-wise I don't think it differs from similar S&Ws in .38 special. At least not if you use longer brass, but even that is possibly not necessary.

Could be it doesn't have an ideal rifle twist, is it faster on the Manurhins?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Reinhamre wrote:It is easier to use a pistol like Walther or Pardini but then you must use .32 SW (Yes, there is Hammerli 240 in .38 spec.) and we all know how difficult that is, furthermore there is a problem with malfunctions, it will of course not feed well in important competitions.

So, revolvers do have advantages, do we all agree upon that.
Yes, revolvers do have advantages, but so do semi-automatics. If you want an idea of which type holds the balance just take a look at a major international match (such as the World Championships). You will find the great majority of competitors using semi-autos.

As for this falacy that .32 S&W is difficult to reload, what absolute rubbish. Use good quality components and equipment and, with a bit of care, reloading for 1 hole groups is not a problem.

As for malfunctions, make reasonable ammunition and maintain your gun properly and you won't have a problem.