Walther LP300 - Your thoughts

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mikey

Walther LP300 - Your thoughts

Post by Mikey »

Has anyone had any experiences with this gun?

I am particlulary interested in the LP300 Ultra Light?

I am in the lucky position where my wife wants to take up shooting and we are looking at the Ultra Light because it is the lightest gun available. She is just coming out of treatment for tennis elbow which has laid her off shooting for the last six months.

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I personally would go with a Morini 162 E short it is only about 100 grams heavier than the Walther. I shoot a Steyr Lp 10 and Walter GSPs and A Walther Free Pistol so I don't personally have anything against Walther. The Morini short is by far the best light weight pistol around.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I'll second Richard's opinion. I have a 162EI Short and like it very much. I've held the Walther LP300 lightweight version with the short barrel and short cylinder and enjoyed the feel of the pistol. But I don't think I could live with the grip mounting system which is a gimbal and doesn't retain its setting when you remove the grip. Just think of it... every time you remove the grip and re-attach it to the pistol it will be in a different position. The Morini grip doesn't move at all, so this isn't a problem (I make adjustments to the Morini grip with a Dremel tool and filler - this works just fine and is very much a "permanent setting".

Another point to note is that the Steyr LP-1 is a light pistol. If you get the Co2 version with the short cylinder it's not only lighter than the Morini 162EI Short, but also is less muzzle-heavy. This would put you in the ballpark of being within 30 or so grams of the weight of the LP300.

Mark.
RJP

LP300

Post by RJP »

I have been shooting a LP300 for about 2 years. It is a very accurate airpistol. In a soft rest, it will shoot one hole groups at 10 meters, not much larger than the diameter of the pellets! The grip is adjusted on a ball and socket device and is not difficult to adjust. One screw does it and the grip is adjustable in 3 directions. The trigger is mechanical and this is the main difference with the Morini. Electronic triggers seem to be easier to shoot, but not that much easier than a well adjusted mechanical trigger. The LP300 also has all the absorbers and blow holes and diffusers that the newest group of airpistols have.

So, what it comes down to is an electronic trigger verses a lighter airpistol with an adjustable grip. Let your friend try both and let her deceide.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Personally ... I like the gimbal ... it makes it very easy to adjust ... much easier then the Steyr ... and of course, the Morini doesn't adjust at all. A lot of shooters note that unless they do a lot of adjusting, whittling, dremeling, putty'ing to a regular grip ... the front and rear sights don't line up using a normal grip and grip pressure. The LP-300 adjustable grip makes it very easy to line up the sights perfectly ... and although there is very little reason to remove or otherwise loosen the grip ... I found it very easy to find my "sweet" spot.

Earlier models of the LP300 had problems with the trigger maintaining it's settings. Supposedly later models have solved that problem ...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Thanks for your input.

At this stage we are going to try out a Hammerli for balance etc. but we are leaning towards the Walther, partly because of the adjustable grip (we have three children that are likely to want to use it) and the extremely competitive price

Morini would be my preference as I could use it too, if I ever get a chance to get near it and get a large grip, and also it would be easier to sell.

Mike
Mako

Post by Mako »

Which Hammerli? The AP40 ... feels very light ... because of the aluminum barrel ... and the weight being concentrated in the grip area ... so it's good for kids but actual weight is very close to most match air pistols.

Because it doesn't have any weight out on the barrel ... to help dampen movement ... it isn't necessarily an easy pistol to shoot accurately, consistently. The factory barrel weight barely makes a difference.

Also, the very round grip doesn't make it easy to get consistent gripping.

Top russian shooter, Mikhail Nestuev, was shooting one for a while, but he, being a gun smith, put on a steel ported barrel ...