Filter query.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rustam Bana

Filter query.

Post by Rustam Bana »

Does it help to use a coloured filter when shooting 10 metre Air Pistol indoors?

If yes, what colour would you recommend the filter be in?

This is assuming that the indoor range lighting follows ISSF norms.

Thanks.

Rustam
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would personally say no and I don't recall ever seeing anyone use one indoors. Be interested if anyone had any experience to the contrary.

Rob.
Claudio

Re: Filter query.

Post by Claudio »

Rustam Bana wrote:Does it help to use a coloured filter when shooting 10 metre Air Pistol indoors?

If yes, what colour would you recommend the filter be in?

This is assuming that the indoor range lighting follows ISSF norms.

Thanks.

Rustam
Hello Rustam,

Filters for indoors in most cases are not necessary but I have to use them. For outdoors, I really need them, along with an adjustable iris. Just as in my post in shooters lounge, I have certain problems with eyesight.

I use a yellow filter only for indoors and an adjustable iris and my eyesight problem is to a minimal and almost non-existent. If you do not have any eyesight problems, the filters could hinder your performance. I only have yellow, green and brown filters and prefer them in that order. I have not tried any other colors but I am receptive on trying some and would like to find more colors out there.

Claudio
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Filters are really a personal preference type thing. It really depends on the range lighting, eye sight and what sight picture you want. One big match here in Canada has very "shall I say" difficult lighting and lots of people use filters. One range that I shoot 10m @ has windows down both walls and white plastic blinds. Depending on the outside lighting I find filters and Irises help there. Lately I have been using the Champion orange filter and really like it (indoors and outdoors when overcast) it seems to cut down the light while enhancing the contrast like a yellow filter. I have an amethyst filter on order and look forward to trying it. All I can say is try 'em if it works for you then use it if not don't.
Rustam Bana

Post by Rustam Bana »

RobStubbs wrote: I don't recall ever seeing anyone use one indoors.
Rob.
Neither have I. However, there is a disconcerting 'glare' that reaches the eye through the sights and I have been finding it increasingly difficult to get the front sight in focus, even when I conciously try to do so.

The power in my aiming eye has changed and I am to change the lens today and was wondering if a tinted lens would help by giving additional contrast.

In case you are wondering, I have dispensed with the use of shooting glasses and gone back to a normal spectacle frame with a largish lens frame (old Rayban Avaiators) but from what I have been reading on the subject, I may just have to re-revise my opinion.

Regards,

Rustam
Rustam Bana

Re: Filter query.

Post by Rustam Bana »

Claudio wrote: I have not tried any other colors but I am receptive on trying some and would like to find more colors out there.
Claudio
Hello Claudio,

Whilst researching the subject on the net, I came across the Varga section on Pilkguns, wherein they mention that a Red filter gives greater contrast between black sights and target. However, they do not mention under what type of lighting conditions this would work best.

They further mention that vermilion also gives a good contrast for brighter light conditions and that grey reduces glare from the target on bright days.

They also recommend an anti-reflective coating to the lens, which is supposed to let more light pass through the lens.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rustam
Rustam Bana

Post by Rustam Bana »

Richard H wrote: Lately I have been using the Champion orange filter and really like it (indoors and outdoors when overcast) it seems to cut down the light while enhancing the contrast like a yellow filter.
Thanks for the tip, Richard.

Regards,

Rustam

P.S.: Assuming you are using the Olympic range of Champion shooting glasses, do these hold their settings or are there minute changes from time to time? This was one of the reasons I got rid of the Knobloch and Varga frames.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The Champion Olypmic model holds there settings very well. The lens holders are basically on threaded rods so they really don't move. I used Knoblochs in the past and really didn't have a problem with them. I just find the Champions more comfortable on my nose. The Champion filters are also of better optical quality than those little plastic Knobloch filters.
Rustam Bana

Richard H

Post by Rustam Bana »

Many thanks for the clarification.

Rustam