A question for Australian .32 Centre Fire shooters

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fortitudo Dei

A question for Australian .32 Centre Fire shooters

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Greetings from across the ditch (NZ).

I'm looking to Australia for a source of decent quality .32 98 grain Hollow-base Wadcutters for reloading. I shoot a FAS 603. I have been using a locally made HBWC projectile which are accurate and cheap, but I'm concerned about their quality control - i have had 1 or 2 skirts separate in every 100 rounds or so. In all instances, both parts of the projectile have made it to the target, but I don't want to run the risk of a barrel bulge. I normally shoot with 1.5 grains Winchester Super Target, so my loads aren't particularly hot. Lapua projectiles are readily available and are damn fine, but are too expensive for general training and club matches (about NZ$100 per 500).
So what are centrefire shooters using in Aussie? I've seen that Potters is selling a 98 grain HBWC (Taipan) at a reasonable price, and I have heard very good things about Bullzi's .32's as well. Anyone have any recommendations / advice? To make the cost of freight worthwhile, I would be looking to get anything up to 5000 or so and may split a load / costs with a fellow club member.
Spencer C

Re: A question for Australian .32 Centre Fire shooters

Post by Spencer C »

contact me direct at sct@bigpond.com
Mikey

.32 projectiles

Post by Mikey »

I have been using Bullzi projectiles for years and get them air freighted to NZ to my door for AUS$250 for 4000 projectiles.

Contact me if you want more information.

mike@imatch.co.nz
Phobotido Dei (Gods Fear)

.32 missiles

Post by Phobotido Dei (Gods Fear) »

Hello, Down Under.

A FAS 603? Hm..., lovely. I fired 50 rounds through mine the other day. Some most enjoyable leisure time.

The load consisted as usual of my own home-cast 84 gns LEE "double-ended" wadcutter. Lubed with liquid LEE Alox lube. Then sized .314 in a Star Sizer (no extra lube added, though).
Propellant charge was 1,5 gns Rotweil P801 (can be substituted by VV310, R1 and others).
Plenty accurate for all of my training. This load is mild, and the reliability of my FAS with this load is 100%.
For serious match work I use the Lapua hollowbase wadcutters.

Mr. Dei, you have to get into bullet casting. Then you can save those expensive Lapua bullets for your matches.
Fortitudo Dei

Re: .32 missiles

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Mr. Dei, you have to get into bullet casting. Then you can save those expensive Lapua bullets for your matches.
Would love to one day - but alas inner-city living (although Wellington is a beautiful city to live in) doesn't currently make that a viable option. It would be great to play around trying to design and cast the perfect .32 bullet, although I think it would be hard to improve on Lapua's effort.
Alex L

Projectiles in Oz

Post by Alex L »

Hi,
I have a GSP Walther .32, and I have beeen using Taipan for the last 5 years, without any problems. However, the manufacturer is making 2 types of bullets - dry lube, or wet lube (wax). He makes them in the sizes of 3.12, 3.13, or 3.14, so you need to know which size you need.
I use the 3.12 wax. They are swaged, and packaged in 1000 to a box.

Bullzi used to be OK, but lately the quality control does not seem to be as good as it was. They are only made in one size of bullet, and are of a different type of manufacture. I used to use these, but the price, quality, and availability has changed. There are 200 per box, and the bullets are tapered slightly, so the bottom skirt is narrower than the top.

These are the most available here in Victoria.
I use Winchester WST, and load 1.5, which provides apporx. 670 -675feet per second., and is pretty accurate. If you are going to use it also for service match, you may need more powder.
We carried out a speed test with various powders and both projectiles. If you are interested in the results, contact me privately. Alex L.
Jim Cruise

Post by Jim Cruise »

I have used Bullzi 98gr HBWC since starting ISSF Centre-fire in 1998 loading either 1.4 or 1.5 gr WST powder and not had any problems with the projectiles, and my best score has been 579 using a FAS603 (292 with an 8 in r/f stage). Occasionally I have seen separation that hits the target, but only when the powder load is increased and this occurs with any HBWC and poor powder throw/measuring. A good loading press reduces this. I have tried other HBWC projectiles but come back to Bullzi as I like the swaged lead & lube - plus the groups they shoot.
Aussie Bob

.32 projectiles

Post by Aussie Bob »

G'day,

I have owned a Hammerli P240 and now a Benneli MP90S, both in .32. I had very good success with the 85 gn Lee liquid lube projectile in the P240 but could not get it to settle down in the MP90S. I now run the Taipan HBWC in .314 with 1.4/1.5 of WST. There was a bad batch of Taipan a few years back. Malcolm Bone, the manufacturer, tested the projectiles I returned and he found the wax was not correct, which he admitted was his fault. His admission has given me a good feeling that he cares about what he makes. I have not used Bullzi for probably 20 years but I have heard of the problems Hank was having with his projectiles. I gather this is now well and truly resolved. (Hearsay) I know an "A" grade ISSF shooter who brings up Bullzi to Sydney as he thinks this is the best 98 gn HBWC on the market.

As was said earlier by another poster do not run HBWC too hot or you will loose the base.

Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob
Pradeep

Re: A question for Australian .32 Centre Fire shooters

Post by Pradeep »

Fortitudo Dei wrote:Greetings from across the ditch (NZ).

I'm looking to Australia for a source of decent quality .32 98 grain Hollow-base Wadcutters for reloading. I shoot a FAS 603. I have been using a locally made HBWC projectile which are accurate and cheap, but I'm concerned about their quality control - i have had 1 or 2 skirts separate in every 100 rounds or so. In all instances, both parts of the projectile have made it to the target, but I don't want to run the risk of a barrel bulge. I normally shoot with 1.5 grains Winchester Super Target, so my loads aren't particularly hot. Lapua projectiles are readily available and are damn fine, but are too expensive for general training and club matches (about NZ$100 per 500).
So what are centrefire shooters using in Aussie? I've seen that Potters is selling a 98 grain HBWC (Taipan) at a reasonable price, and I have heard very good things about Bullzi's .32's as well. Anyone have any recommendations / advice? To make the cost of freight worthwhile, I would be looking to get anything up to 5000 or so and may split a load / costs with a fellow club member.
I used Taipan 98 gn HBWCs with great success, in a S&W Mod 16, using ~1.5gn of WST. My friends also switched to them, using Pardini CF guns. IIRC they are available in .312 and .314, something for everyone. I forget how much are in the big boxes but they are great value for money.

I cannot recommend the Bullzis, I have seen in one box some that literally fall into the case, and others that strip a ton of lead when it is pressed home. Not to mention the seperation problems. At a given powder weight the Taipans would be fine, whilst the Bullzi were splitting. If I was importing over the water then no question, go with the Taipans.