High Standard Mfg.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Larry Contillo

High Standard Mfg.

Post by Larry Contillo »

Does the High Standard make a gun that is suitable for use a target gun ?

Are the 10X justified.
deleted1

Hi-standard

Post by deleted1 »

Most assuredly---the new Texas company makes an excellent gun which is quite suitable for most target competition. I have a new Victor which I use for Bullseye with a dot---but my older Victor I have used for Standard Pistol---and they both have an amazingly good trigger---not equal to my Pardini's but damned good. IMHO they are the only decently made excellent shooting American made target pistols bar none.
mitty

Texas High Standards

Post by mitty »

Not to argue with Bob, but to put it politely, there are many "issues" with the Texas guns. The majority of High Standard people consider them to be of low quality and there are business ethics issues reported with some regularity. I suggest you look at Jim Spacek's HS forum: http://www.tm-techmark.com/jspacek.htm Search on "Texas" as a starter. "legal action" also produces relevant hits. Sounds like Bob got lucky.

I have a well-known gunsmith friend who received a Texas gun that had all the pin holes drilled so crooked that he advised the client to junk the frame.

The original HS guns, however, are very good. Probably second choice after the Hammerli 208S on the NRA bullseye circuit. Scott has a couple for sale, I think.

The Hamden, CT -made guns are considered the best. East Hartford guns are of mixed quality due to the financial problems that the company was having at the time, finally ending in bankruptcy.

When looking at a high time gun, check for a frame crack on the right rail near the slide lock and extending vertically through the thinner portion of the frame in the slide lock cutout area. These are hard and expensive to fix, although the guns shoot fine with the cracks (eventually the left side will crack too) ignored.

If you are seriously interested in the HS guns, buy Tom Dance's book, "High Standard: A Collector's Guide to the Hamden & Hartford Target Pistols"

HTH
mitty

Jim Spacek Link

Post by mitty »

Just noticed that it doesn't work as shown because the BBS software has included the period at the end of the sentence in the link url. Try it without the period and it should work.
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

I own 2 "Texas guns." They function flawlessly, and are quite accurate. Both are Trophy models, although one is the "Olympic" variation, in 22 short.

Both guns are set up for Bullseye, with dots, although I also have a second bbl for the 22 short.
Larry Contillo

High Standard Mfg.

Post by Larry Contillo »

I appreciate the comments. Thanks!
PASA008

High Standard pistols

Post by PASA008 »

The older Hampden guns are excellant, the Victor model is a little heavy to mount a dot on for bullseye, but Lou Lombardi at Falcon Machinery makes an aluminum barrel with a stainless liner to match specs. It cuts the weight so that when you mount a dot scope on it the overall weight is a little less than the standard Victor weight. I've had mine for over 10 yrs. and will still shoot 3/8" groups at 25 meters.

If you get an older gun, you can send it to Bob Shea, the original master gunsmith of High Standard, and he still rebuilds them for a very reasonable price. I sent mine (a 1970's model) to him last year and he went entirely through it, replaced the firing pin, all the springs, cleaned and adjusted it, for under $100.
dps1226

Post by dps1226 »

I have a High Standard that has a great trigger(single Stage )
Is very accurate......put 10 rounds in the X .... not x ring , but the X itself @ 25 yds....... But un reliable ..... Will alibi at leaste every 100 rounds if not more frequent. ....... I have a Hammerli that has not malfunctioned in over 8K rounds ..... I personally hate alibi strings..... which gun do you think I shoot ??????
Jay V

Re: Texas High Standards

Post by Jay V »

mitty wrote:Not to argue with Bob, but to put it politely, there are many "issues" with the Texas guns. The majority of High Standard people consider them to be of low quality and there are business ethics issues reported with some regularity. I suggest you look at Jim Spacek's HS forum: http://www.tm-techmark.com/jspacek.htm Search on "Texas" as a starter. "legal action" also produces relevant hits. Sounds like Bob got lucky.

I have a well-known gunsmith friend who received a Texas gun that had all the pin holes drilled so crooked that he advised the client to junk the frame.

The original HS guns, however, are very good. Probably second choice after the Hammerli 208S on the NRA bullseye circuit. Scott has a couple for sale, I think.

The Hamden, CT -made guns are considered the best. East Hartford guns are of mixed quality due to the financial problems that the company was having at the time, finally ending in bankruptcy.

When looking at a high time gun, check for a frame crack on the right rail near the slide lock and extending vertically through the thinner portion of the frame in the slide lock cutout area. These are hard and expensive to fix, although the guns shoot fine with the cracks (eventually the left side will crack too) ignored.

If you are seriously interested in the HS guns, buy Tom Dance's book, "High Standard: A Collector's Guide to the Hamden & Hartford Target Pistols"

HTH
This assessment of the Texas High Standards is correct in my opinion. With anything but an original one you are looking for trouble. The shooters that have had good luck with their Texas guns are very lucky.

Talk to Warren at Pilkington if you want another opinion.

Jay V
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

yep, we have a pretty low opinion of the Texas guns.... they are on our list of guns we won't take in our trade