Refilling SCUBA tanks

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
argus

Refilling SCUBA tanks

Post by argus »

I need to have my new scuba tank refilled for the first time and was just wondering are there any special precautions that need to be taken into account regarding the quality of the air as far as moisture content, filtering etc. are concerned?
As far as I can tell from a quick search, most of you just use the local dive shop for refills but I just wanted to be safe rather than sorry.
In case it has any bearing the pistol is an LP10.
While I have you, is there any legal requirement to have the pistol cylinders checked periodically (I'm in Sydney Australia) and who is capable of doing this? Are there any Steyr agents / factory approved repairers in Sydney? I know there are a few Sydneysiders that hang around here.
Thanks for your help!

Post by Guest »

you can also try your local fire dept.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

There are quite strict standards relating to quality of air used in SCUBA and BA cylinders in Australia. All dive shops should be meeting or exceeding these. The Australian Standard is....

AS 3848.2-1999 : Filling of portable gas cylinders - Filling of portable cylinders for self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) and non-underwater self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) - Safe procedures

It can be purchased from http://www.standards.com.au (do a search on the AS code), but isn't cheap (Standards never are. There relatively high cost relates to the research that goes into writing them and the cost of administering them). Large public libraries or State libraries will often have standards available for viewing, but generally you are not allowed to photocopy them for copyright reasons.
Alex L

Air cylinders

Post by Alex L »

I think you are worrying too much. To fill a tank in a Dive shop, here in Melbourne, cost around $3 to $4, and because it is at a Dive shop they will check the cylinders every year, and stamp them, which will be an additional cost.
However, if you don't use your tank under water, and you use the tank for Industrial use (just filling the pistol cylinders) you can have a special sticker for the tank which should give you an exemption.
An aluminium or steel Dive tank has a life expectancy of about 10 years.
Lots of shooters here, bought 2nd hand tanks which may have been de-classified.
There are various types of tank - diving tanks, or those used by firemen.etc.
I have a hand pump, which I purchased about 2½ years ago. I never let my pistol air cylinders go down lower than 100 bar. It takes about 25 strokes to fill up a cylinder to 200 bar, and then I can shoot about 80 - 100 shots very comfortably, which is plenty for a training session.
With a heavy diving tank, it is useless to carry around when you go away to a competition, where as the pump is much more portable! (By the way, I am over 70 and I have no problems using it!)
Talk around with other shooters who have tanks, who may be able to fill up your cylinders for you. (Diving cylinders should not have any condensation worries, due to the filtering system it uses.)
Good luck.

Post by Guest »

OK, thanks for the advice.
Chris in Adelaide

SCUBA tank

Post by Chris in Adelaide »

Argus,
Why bother with a tank for your pistol?
My wife and I use one for our RWS Excalibre rifles (pumping them up is *quite* aerobic), but I use the RWS hand pump for my FWB P30.
It takes me less than 40 pumps for a match and sighters.
My dive shop here in Adelaide insisted that I put stickers on the SCUBA tank saying that it will never be used for diving, and they fill it quite happily.
If it helps, I bought my filling gear from Lewis at Beeman Australia, and he put a K connector on the pump, matching the SCUBA tank, so both pistol and rifle fill adaptors fit on either the tank or the pump - very convenient when the tank is pushing empty!
HTH - Chris