About dry firing

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Evia

About dry firing

Post by Evia »

Just a simple question. I shoot booth air pistol (Steyr LP5P) and .22 live fire (Hämmerli 208S). I use to shoot air on saturdays and standard pistol on sundays. I dry fire for 10-15 minutes almost every day from monday to friday with the 208S. My question is: Which gun should I use for Dry firing? The 208S or the LP5P (my LP5P has the heavy trigger installed)? May I have to alternate both?

Thanks,
RML

About dry firing

Post by RML »

Yes, you should dryfire with both, as they probably feel at least slightly different to hold and shoot, and you need to practice with both without beeing "disturbed" by the result of the shoot.
But I would spend a bit more time dryfiring the .22 than the airpistol. The reason is that the airpistol does not have any recoil during live fire, which makes it easier to see any errors during live fire. The recoil of the .22 makes it more difficult to see errors when shooting live, so more dryfiring is required to work on the technique.

RML

Steyr Lp5

Post by guest »

I think it is not possible to dy fire a Steyr Lp5.
You can cock the striker, and pull the trigger, yes. But there is no divice to interupt the travel of the striker. It vill hit the valve of the pressure chamber.
Only if the attached cylinder is completely emty there will be no release of air.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

With the steyr LP5 you just don't put the magazine in. Without the magazine, no air is released.

Rob.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Two different guns for two different disciplines. Dry fire with both.
gust

dyrfiring lp5

Post by gust »

To Robstubbs.
Yes, I know that. One has to dry fire once after having removed the magazine, before putting the gun away after use. I know because I own a Lp5.
But when i dryfire that single trigger pull i press against the two protruding ears, so that i can gently let the striker move forward.

The reason I do this is that when one dryfire without the magazine in place, the mecanism that moves the magazine one step to the leftby each shot is activated. When there is no resistence from the magazine, this device will wear in an unnormal manner.

Dont dryfire your Lp5. If you whant it to function properly for a long time.

Thank you for forwarding the ide of removing the magazine, by the way. How dumb do you think your fellow shooters are?
RobStubbs

Re: dyrfiring lp5

Post by RobStubbs »

'Gust'
Thanks for the patronising reply. The LP5 only releases air with the magazine in so from your previous post it was fair to assume you had the magazine in. I too have one so I am familar with the workings of the gun.

I will have to take your word that the advancing mechanism 'will wear abnormally' although since there is nothing for it to wear against I don't see how.

Rob.
gust wrote:To Robstubbs.
<snip>

>>I think it is not possible to dy fire a Steyr Lp5. You can cock the striker, and pull the trigger, yes. But there is no divice to interupt the travel of the striker. It vill hit the valve of the pressure chamber. Only if the attached cylinder is completely emty there will be no release of air>>

Thank you for forwarding the ide of removing the magazine, by the way. How dumb do you think your fellow shooters are?
David Levene

Re: dyrfiring lp5

Post by David Levene »

gust wrote:The reason I do this is that when one dryfire without the magazine in place, the mecanism that moves the magazine one step to the leftby each shot is activated. When there is no resistence from the magazine, this device will wear in an unnormal manner.

Dont dryfire your Lp5. If you whant it to function properly for a long time.

With respect, I think you may have answered your own question.

The catch which stops the magazine from moving to the left is not activated by pulling the trigger. It is activated when the internal slide of the gun moves to the rear. During normal shooting this is moved by air. When there is no air in the tank or no magazine in the gun then it is moved by manually cocking the gun. This inevitably happens much slower than if moved by the air. This, coupled to the total lack of sideways pressure on the catch when there is no magazine, gives a greatly reduced amount of wear when compared to live firing.

Dry fire an LP5 as much as you want. I have since 1997 (but not as much as I should).