problems with the cylinder of a pcp

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nano

problems with the cylinder of a pcp

Post by Nano »

Hello!

I have a FW P-30 air pistol, one of the two cylinders has begun to give problems of maintaining the pressure.
If I load 200 bar of pressure one day Tuesday, for Thursday I have alone 150.
Although it is not a very extreme case, I want to make the change of "o" rings by myself.
I have the original "o" rings, but I don't have any special tool,
¿has somebody made it for if same?
¿is it very difficult?
¿does the thread have some sealer that impedes him to be loosened?

Thank you in advance.

Nano

cylinder(ical) problems

Post by guest »

No, please do not try to fix that leaking cylinder yourself! At 200 bars you are holding a little precharged bomb in your hands.

The FWB importer will be able to fix this problem for you. Your pistol is some years old, so the repair is not covered under the warranty, I guess.
but the cost of the repair is modest in relation of the cost of an injury.

Leaking cylinders are a nuicanse. This happens with cylinders off all brands, take my word. One clubmate had a fwb M30. Suddenly the manometer unit dissapperared into the (leaking) cylinder...

Not seldom, relatively new cylinders of the latest and most expensive models af the most wellreputed manufacturers are leaking...

As I told Warren under the thread "FWB C 25" in this column, the M 30 had some problems with triggers (and cylinders).
Nano

leaking cylinder

Post by Nano »

Guest: (sorry, I dont see your name)
thank you for your concern
if I cheer up to open the cylinder, I would make it with the empty cylinder, without pressure, the gun brings a tool for drainage the air until leaving it in zero.
What I seek to make is not very difficult, alone I want to loosen the thread and to change the "O" ring, my question is if it is necessary to make a lot of force or if the thread has of it manufactures some special paste or glue.

Thank you again,

Nano
gust

leaking high pressure air cylinder

Post by gust »

I am conserned about the safety of you and possible bystanders. If a fullly charged "repaired" cylinder suddenly blows the end tap off. You are planning to unscrew this to fit a new "O" ring seal, right? Do not do that yourself.

You could possibly be able to open your cylinder. I am more worried about the safety of this "home repaired" unit afterwards. When fully charged again.

Remember, we are talking about very high pressures here. Somebody mentioned earlier in this column a rifleshooter who unscrewed a pcp rifle cylinder from a scuba tank without first closing the walve. The treads were torn off. He learned a lesson.

The regulations covering the treatment of high pressure equipment differ somewhat from country to country. I do not know the US regulations in detail. Are you sure that you are not violating any law by "reparing" the cylinders yourself?
nano

leaking cylinder

Post by nano »

I made the arrangement to the cylinder!!!
I didn't make any adaptation neither I recommend to make it, alone to change the O ring, that simple.
Manufacture a tool with four small salient, with her I could take out the main thread of the cylinder that locate the O ring, Ichanges it and I put it again, the best thing is that works.
two people were needed to loosen the thread, one to holding the cylinder and another to make force with the manufactured key. To avoid that the key fails, I put him in the thread of the cylinder the tool to adapt to the inflator, if somebody wants pictures, I can send them.

nano
Walter

Post by Walter »

Now make sure you don't blow your balls off when you unscrew it after filling it up. You may have loosened the threads to the canister.