RF -> has a decision been made yet? & prices of RF pi

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Walt

Post by Walt »

Has a final decision been made regarding the future of RF & the potential switch to .22lr?

If that decision does come down what is going to happen to the price of RF pistols in .22 short? Will they go up as collectors items or down because they are paper-weights? I have already seen some used at 1/2 the "normal" price.

Peter
Silhuetter

Wallhanger vs paperweights

Post by Silhuetter »

Mine will simply be retired.

And start a new life as wallhanger. and a reminder of a great, old, classic shooting dicipline.

Post by Guest »

I will keep mine because:

1. I cannot see why I should be selling it at bargain basement price while it is a perfectly good piece of equipment,

2. I may not be able to use it in ISSF type matches in the future but I can certainly still use it in occassions other than sanctioned matches,

3. and along the same line, ISSF does not have competitions in .45 ACP but I still want to keep mine and shoot it whenever I could, so .22 short is no exception.

My 2 cents. :-)
Charles

Post by Charles »

If you want to continue shooting your RF pistol, I would advise stocking up on ammo that your pistol likes. If the usage of .22 short high end ammo drops off I would be concerned about will the available selection be reduced and what the resulting quality will be.

By an odd stroke of luck, I sold my Hammerli 230 about 3 days before the new rules were anounced.

Charles
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I have heard that the RF changes will be as previously published with the exception that the ammunition requirements will be for a 39g bullet and a muzzle velocity of 250m/s

Post by Guest »

David Levene wrote:I have heard that the RF changes will be as previously published with the exception that the ammunition requirements will be for a 39g bullet and a muzzle velocity of 250m/s
I wonder if the ISSF have thought about any of procedures which might be required to test this at a sanctioned competition level. Will manufacturers start printing projectile weight and average velocity on boxes of ammo? Will chrono testing of a competitor's ammo become part of the gun testing / checking procedure? If so, what is a competitor swaps their ammo before the start of the match? If they are then pulled up for testing after the match is finished, how can officials test the ammo if it has all been shot and none remains for chrono testing? Hmmm - this could be interesting...or a farce...
sparky

Post by sparky »

At major IPSC matches, at a random point during the match, a competitor will have some ammunition pulled from a magazine as he is about to load for a string. IIRC, they later ask the competitor to report to the chronograph stage and to have their ammo checked. This shouldn't be too hard to do at major RF matches.
For local matches, I don't think you'd really need to go through the hassle. Given the pain in the butt it would probably be to create custom down-loaded .22 ammo, I don't think there would be a big cheating problem any how.
Anonymous wrote:
David Levene wrote:I have heard that the RF changes will be as previously published with the exception that the ammunition requirements will be for a 39g bullet and a muzzle velocity of 250m/s
I wonder if the ISSF have thought about any of procedures which might be required to test this at a sanctioned competition level. Will manufacturers start printing projectile weight and average velocity on boxes of ammo? Will chrono testing of a competitor's ammo become part of the gun testing / checking procedure? If so, what is a competitor swaps their ammo before the start of the match? If they are then pulled up for testing after the match is finished, how can officials test the ammo if it has all been shot and none remains for chrono testing? Hmmm - this could be interesting...or a farce...