10m pistol range in Washington DC

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nano

10m pistol range in Washington DC

Post by Nano »

Hi:

I will travel to Washington DC in the month of June, I want to know where can I shoot air pistol 10m, and if it is possible, to take some classes of training.
I am from Bolivia, and I like to travel as less as possible.

Thank You,

Nano
mikeschroeder

Re: 10m pistol range in Washington DC

Post by mikeschroeder »

Nano wrote:Hi:

I will travel to Washington DC in the month of June, I want to know where can I shoot air pistol 10m, and if it is possible, to take some classes of training.
I am from Bolivia, and I like to travel as less as possible.

Thank You,

Nano
Hi Nano

You don't mention whether or not you intend to bring your own air pistol with you. If you are only going to Washington DC, or are flying into Washington DC you probably can't bring an air pistol with you. All Pistols / firearms under 12 inche barrel length are illegal in Washington DC unless you had them licensed there before 1976.

If you would like to borrow / rent an air pistol then I would suggest that you look for Virginia Youth Shooting sports on the internet. Virginia is a lot more friendly towards shooting sports than our nation's capitol.

The following link is to an organization primarily for promoting Concealed Carry permits, BUT they have a link to all of the state's current gun laws which SOMETIMES include air guns. Washington DC's don't seem to include air guns, but they do include a link to the Washington DC Police.

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/washington+dc

Good luck and good shooting

Mike
Mike McDaniel

DC itself is VERY BAD, but the surrounding area is OK

Post by Mike McDaniel »

The District of Columbia has some of the most repressive gun laws in the United States. Not sure what the status of an air pistol would be, though, as those are not normally considered firearms under American law. Still, it would be wise not to press the issue.

On the other hand, DC itself is only 10 miles across, and none of the three airports which serve it are actually IN the District. They are all in Maryland or Virginia, and air pistols are perfectly legal.

My advice would be to contact the National Rifle Association (www.nra.org). Their headquarters is near Washington (about 15km to the West), and they have a range in the building.

Post by Guest »

I know a few AP shooters in the Washington, DC area, and hopefully one of them might have a better suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't know of any matches or group that is shooting regularly, at least not AP and not in June.

There are plenty of pistol matches of different types taking place in the area, check this web site:

http://www.tsra.com/NRA_Sub.htm

Another possibility would be for you to attend the USAS National Championships as a vistor taking place at Ft. Benning, GA. That is where many of us will be June 19 to June 23. Unfortunately, it would require an airplane flight.
sbow

Post by sbow »

I am no lawyer, but the District of Columbia Code appears to exclude from its "Firearms Control" laws (i.e., Title 6, chapter 23) air guns with the following characteristics (taken from Subchapter I., 6-2302,7,E,i):
Any pneumatic, spring, or B.B. gun which expels a single projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter;
That said, you should probably check first.
Nano

10m fiels in washington

Post by Nano »

thank you to all those that responded.

Nano
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi Nano

Just trying to help. When you get back home, PLEASE tell us what you were able to do, and how that compared to what you wanted to do. Helps the rest of us when we travel.

Mike
Wichita KS