New Center Fire Pistol NRA National Record

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

At the Colorado State Indoor International Pistol Championship matches held last weekend, John Bickar set a new Center Fire national record of 590. This match was held at the Olympic Training Center and included all five mens and two womens events.

Congratulation, John!
Bobcat

cf-record

Post by Bobcat »

Yes, 590 is an impressive score. that is for sure.

Back in 1963 another record was set. 597 (297 - 300) as faar as I recon.
With a .38 caliber.
Yes, the x-ring of the duell target was larger then, but...
There is still a long way to go.
Keep training.
scott

Nice shooting JB!

Post by scott »

If I recall, that 590 is also a mere one point off the current world mark in 25m CF as well.

Nice shooting, John! You make us all proud!
Marilyn
Location: With a big yellow dog on a hill near the Continental Divide

Post by Marilyn »

Of course, John is still 4 points off of his own USA Shooting record for Center Fire of 594. I hope his matches in Greece are as strong!
Misny

Post by Misny »

Great going, John! I'm sure that the folks at Canton-Mckinley are especially proud as they should be. Keep up the good work. BTW, John is a pretty fair conventional pistol shot as well.

Post by Guest »

Misny wrote:I'm sure that the folks at Canton-Mckinley are especially proud.
I sure hope so. Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

JB
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

You are an inspiration to my 4-H group John! We will be joining USA-Shooting this year with the goal of qualifying for the Jr. Olympics in 2005-2006. Keep up the good work and being a good example for the Youth of America!!
Anonymous wrote:
Misny wrote:I'm sure that the folks at Canton-Mckinley are especially proud.
I sure hope so. Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

JB
recordshot

record?

Post by recordshot »

according to USA shooting the record is 592
the shooter name is George Ross
http://www.usashooting.com/news/nationa ... =25mCenter
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

The Subject of this post is: New Center Fire Pistol NRA National Record.

A new NRA national record was shot, not USAS.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Slo cat wrote:A new NRA national record was shot, not USAS.
Can someone please explain something to a poor confused Brit (we have even more "governing bodies" than you).

Are the NRA and the USAS records both the same (ISSF) course of fire. If so then surely only one body has the authority to approve a national record.
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

The short answer:

USAS is the national governing body for Olympic shooting sports for the USA. The NRA formerly was the NGB until the formation of USAS. But the NRA still has international shooting competitions conducted under it's auspices and still keeps track of NRA national records for it's international matches. The courses of fire are essentially the same, with similar, but not identical rules. When the ISSF makes a rule change, the NRA generally does not update it's rules to conform.

How this happened, I'll leave to others to explain.

Best Regards,
Slo cat
JohnK

World Record

Post by JohnK »

Was the record you refer to in 1963 the one set by T.D.Smith?
If so the pistol he used is in the National Firearms Museum.
I roomed with him the modulars at Perry in 1990 when we both shot for Okalahoma.
He is one REAL American!
I wish I could have bottled everything he tried to teach me!
JLK
LMJ

Centerfire records

Post by LMJ »

I had the great honor to shoot beside Don Hamilton in the late 80's. When he produced a 599 centerfire. Yes it was the old "politicaly incorrect" target but it still was an awesome score. His one "9" in precision was almost plugable. Sadly the match was only approved due to a miscue and he did not get credit for a National record.
Larry
LMJ

Centerfire record

Post by LMJ »

Just a quick note for John Bickar. In no way did I intend my "Back in the Day" thoughts about Hamilton detract from your accomplishment.
Heck of a shoot!
Larry
Bobcat

597 / T.D. Smith

Post by Bobcat »

Yes, Yes, "JohnK".

This immortal record score was achieved during the Pan-American games in 1963, I think.

Yes, T. D. Smith is a real american. And to me he is, like his record score, immortal.

I envy you who had the opportunity to meet him "in persona".
mister G

Post by mister G »

Larry (LMJ) is correct about the 599 that Don Hamilton fired "back then". If I remember correctly, Don's casual reaction after being told that the match organizers failed to properly register the match was something like "Oh, well. I have plenty of time to do it again" and he moved on.

FWIW, I shot CF next to Eric Buljung at the 1984 Olympic Trials in CA where he won the match, scoring a 593 on the final day, even with my empty brass dinging his hat brim all match long.