validating the "gripman"

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Do you hesitate to work on your own grip

Poll ended at Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:07 am

Do you think personalized grips improve results
100%
Are you concerned about hurting the value of your pistol
No votes

Total votes: 19

CraigE

validating the "gripman"

Post by CraigE »

It's been about 18 mos. that I am back into shooting AP. I sure am glad that restarted! Thanks to Warren for steering me to an IZH 46 to begin with and the wealth of good information on Target Talk. There have been a couple of outstanding helpful people both here and at matches. One of the things on which I have posted a couple of times to explain to others has been the process of modifying my 46 grip to be comfortable for ME. I know I have read about the "gripman" working wonders for some shooters and thought that like most things...it sure couldn't hurt, but is it a true improvement. After almost a year with the very good Morini medium grip on my LP1, I took the plunge, so to speak, and did a little whittlin' and adding some epoxy filler. The difference is absolutely amazing! Now I need not go thru contortions to attempt a recreation of the grip position every time I pick up the pistol....my hand magically falls to the exact same place everytime and it is no chore to replicate. The next thing I noticed is that, if I am focussing on the front sight and executing proper trigger control, I shoot 10's. When I don't do that...poof....not so good. In the past, the same things may have been true, but there was the added variable of inconsistent hand-on-grip to complicate the equation. I now have fewer things to worry about and the opportunity to make corrections to one thing at a time. The "gripman" may not hold the holy grail, but he sure offers an interesting aperitif. Bottom line....don't be afraid to do some grip modifications if done patiently and with attention to the subtle areas where you lack contact or have annoying interferences. A new set of grips may only be necessary if you need to sell....and if your pistol (quality has no regrets...remember) fits and works....the rest is up to the shooter to practice, train and execute. Now back to the shooting..
Evia

Some help about how to

Post by Evia »

I'll receive from Gehman a bottle of morini paste i the couple weeks . As soon I have the paste I will try to customize the KN Nill grips of my 208S and the Morini grips of my LP-5P

I have never done a thing like that in mall all life. I'm an accountant, and don't have experience working with any sort of wood tools!!!. So maybe someboy can spend a few minutes telling me how to do that. I don't even know if that paste includes an instruction manual. Should I need sand paper,a dremmel or something like that? Shoul I need to "press" the paste with my hand on my grip to make it "fit"?. I'm little wooried about damage my expensive grips.

Somebody can help?

Manuel, Mexico
sparky

Post by sparky »

Unfortunately, I think the answer to the poll is yes to both. It improves your grip but it also decreases value. The big question is, which do you ultimately care about more?
Dan Hankins

Seaton Thomas (Gripman)

Post by Dan Hankins »

it was my pleasure to have the Seaton Thomas spend a few days as a guest at my house in the Ozarks. We had communicated on forums and by e-mail for some time, and in his travels he was going to be near my area.

The guy is kinda a magical character. While he was here he was kind enough to do a little grip work on some of my 10 m pistols. You have to see it to believe it. I would grip the pistol, and hold it in a firing position. He would look at the pistol and hand and grip and then take the pistol and dremmel off some wood. Hand it back and I would hold it again and he asked for input. How does that feel? Then he would take off some more, and hand it back and like magic, the grip felt great. Then he would usually do some more dremmel magic and even though I thought it was as good as it could be befroe, it would be even better.

As to adding to the grip, on mine there was no need. He removed material. The grips were roughly the correct size when we started. I don't think that you can make a small grip properly fit a large hand. And it may not be practical to try to make a large grip fit a small hand. By getting close on the grip size, the Gripman will likely only have to remove a small amount of wood.

As to the effect on resale value, the work he did on my grips did not affect the value. In fact one buyer of one of my pistols commented that the grips on the one he bought that Seaton had done the grips on was the best of any of his collection of that pistol. The wood removal was mostly on the smooth areas of the grip and I just added a little finish to that area and, aside from the fine fit of the grips, you would be hard pressed to find the alterations.

I do not have any experience with other grip makers of fitters. I feel no need to seek other advise. Seaton is an artist and an honest and entertaining gentleman. You could hardly ask for more.

So, here's your formula for buying and using a 10 m pistol. Buy from Pilkington's, and if you need grip work, contact Seaton Thomas. The pistol will be good and backed by folks that care and the grip mods will be a great treat. Go on, you deserve it.

Respectfully,
Dan Hankins
Marley

Gripwork affecting value...it only increases

Post by Marley »

Seaton Thomas's gripwork is personal but is also to a degree generic. Seaton's genius is that he has a better understanding of ergonomics and basic anatomy...so that the basic start of his work helps anyone who uplifts that pistol. His indepth follow-up work is what makes it your custom grip. You can send Seaton a grip with an outline of your hand and its thickness, and he can interpolate it to send you back a vastly superior grip. If you can arrange to see Seaton and go through his phases of fitting...you will have absolute magic. Whatever Seaton does he does with absolute concern and care for the total package, including appearance.
Mako

Post by Mako »

The Master at Work ... don't wait too long to take advantage of his expertise ....

Dan Hankins

Good picture

Post by Dan Hankins »

You have captured a good image of the Wizzard at work. The gentleman holding the pistol is probably not as short as the picture indicates, as Seaton is a Very Tall Leprechan/Wizzard, or what ever. Looks like the gentleman having the grip fitted is so excited that he is playing "Pocket Pool", an indication of a pleasant reaction to the magical minstration of the Wizzard. The gentleman is probably not even aware of the placement of his non shooting hand.

Good job.

Respectfully,
Bubba
Been there done that, so no disrespect implied or written.
Evia

Don't answer

Post by Evia »

I sent an e-mail to Mr. Seaton on friday and still have no anser. It is something common?

Thanks

Re: Don't answer

Post by guest »

Evia wrote:I sent an e-mail to Mr. Seaton on friday and still have no anser. It is something common? Thanks
It is not unusual for people to take a few days to respond. He will reply. Patience is worth it. I ended up with great grips for my IZH-46M.

Validating Work of the Gripman

Post by Guest »

Like Mako, Bill Demerest and several other contributors to this segment, I, too, have had the honor of having my grips done by Seaton Thomas.

I was privilaged to have hosted him at my home for several days and had Brad and my air gun and free pistol grips done. Needless to say when I pick up either gun, the front and rear sights are, remarkably, on point and aligned with little or no effort on my part.

As I have said several times before in other TT discussions on this subject, the less effort it takes to get your sights align the easier it is to focus on the front sight, the easier it is to release a good shot.

As for the survey or poll. When you purchase an air gun, standard pistol or free pistol and you are serious about competition looks or ascetics really take a back seat to having a good "shooter to gun relationship" where the elements or idiosyncrasies of the gun don't interfere with the process of releasing the shot. Therefore, if I have someone like Seaton Thomas apply his magic to my grips so that I can be more consistant and thus improve your performance, then I am more than happy to have Seaton sand, cut, putty, etc. my grip any day.

One additional thing, when you have had the pleasure of spending any real time with him as my son, Brad and I have had, you really find out what a kind, gracious and interesting person he really is. The man is a true gentleman.

In closing, as I said before, it is an honor and privilage to have had Seaton work on my grips but more importantly, it is an honor to consider Seaton, a friend, as well.

Keep'em all in the ten ring,
Ian
seaton (gripman)

Awww gee , shucks , kicking dirt, THANKS guys :)

Post by seaton (gripman) »

I truely appreciate the comments . I have really enjoyed meeting new friends and doing ur grips:) If theres Anything I can do to help, please dont hesitate to contact me . Regards, seaton (Gripmam:)
seaton2@frontiernet.net
928-763-5504
Mako

Post by Mako »

In regards to the Poll ... after having my free pistol worked over by Seaton ... I think the grip is prettier then every ...