IZH-35 - is it just for beginners... how good is it???

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alan

IZH-35 - is it just for beginners... how good is it???

Post by Alan »

Fellow Shooters -

My question revolves around the IZH-35. My websites recommend this gun as an excellent starting gun for bullseye & international standard shooting. My question is - is it just for beginners or can this gun take you "all the way?"

I really enjoy my IZH35, but is rattles a lot. Does this rattling decrease accuracy? While I am not a 'Master' shooter, if I keep shooting will I out-perform the IZH35 and need to move to a "better" pistol?

If I do decide to keep my IZH35 what modifications do I need to do to it?

- Alan
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

I have been shooting the IZH for about 4 years, and would say that its accuracy is certainly good enough for scores of "100" in all international and conventional pistol events where it is designed to compete.

There is plenty of room for improvement, mostly in grips, but also in other areas. Look at http://www.djprecision.com/ for accessories that make the IZH a lot better in my opinion.

The design is world-class, overall quality is OK, but it should be able to go "all the way" in my opinion.

I believe in its original form the gun has won gold for the Russians many times.

Jay V
deleted1

Not just a beginner

Post by deleted1 »

Hey that gun is capable of shooting quite fantastic scores---I have a friend that uses it strictly for Standard Pistol and he shoots in the 570's ++. It is a winner as are most of the Russian made guns we can buy today. I have an IZH over-under in 12ga. and let me tell you it has taken a lot of pheasant, quail and is quite good at the trap range as well. I will never out shoot that gun or any of the ones I own.
nneely

It'll go long enough...

Post by nneely »

For the past 2 years I've shoot NRA bulls-eye with the IZH-35 and have no complaints with the pistol. I've shot in the 570s with no modifications to the gun (stock grip, no red-dot, etc.) and feel comfortable that the only thing preventing higher scores is myself. I recently added DJ Precision's lower shroud weight and saw a noticable group tightening.

The 'rattling' you notice is the slide. The tolerances are probably measured in millimeters and so it makes some distincitve noises when it moves. But, since the barrel is firmly attached to the frame, the extra movement doesn't affect the accuracy like a similarly rattling slide on a 1911 would.

I would say that you'll get the most out of the gun in bulls-eye by upgrading the grips, adding the lower shroud weight, and perhaps adding a red-dot. However, an unmodified IZH-35 will certainly shoot master-class scores. Once you're at that level, you may or may not need a new pistol to add the last few points. At that point, what you ate for lunch might affect you more than a new gun, who knows.

- Nick