S&W 41 vs. Pardini SP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Spotted Owl

S&W 41 vs. Pardini SP

Post by Spotted Owl »

I'm looking for a .22 pistol for informal target shooting and general plinking. I know both the 41 and the SP are overkill for this, but what the heck.

I have several questions, primarily about the SP, as I've used a 41 but have never seen an SP except in a catalog.

1. Is the SP as easy to field strip and clean as the 41?

2. Is the SP as sturdy as the 41? The 41 is entirely steel and wood; does the SP have plastic or aluminum parts? If so, does this affect its durabilty? I plan to put between 25k and 50k rounds through the piece each year, and expect it to last many years.

3. Is it easier to mount a red-dot sight on the SP or the 41?
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

Call Don Nygord
http://www.nygord-precision.com

he sells the Pardini and has a LOT of shooting experience

Pardini seems to be a big block of aluminum

where in the world are you?

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
sparky

Re: S&W 41 vs. Pardini SP

Post by sparky »

I've owned both. Sold the 41, currently keeping the SP (I don't think I'm EVER gonna sell this thing!) My answers below preceded by ">>"
Spotted Owl wrote:I'm looking for a .22 pistol for informal target shooting and general plinking. I know both the 41 and the SP are overkill for this, but what the heck.

I have several questions, primarily about the SP, as I've used a 41 but have never seen an SP except in a catalog.

>>Yes. All you have to do is unscrew one hex head bolt at the muzzle and the barrel and bolt assembly slide right out. However, if you want to go further than field stripping, dissassembling and removing the trigger group is more difficult on the SP.

2. Is the SP as sturdy as the 41? The 41 is entirely steel and wood; does the SP have plastic or aluminum parts? If so, does this affect its durabilty? I plan to put between 25k and 50k rounds through the piece each year, and expect it to last many years.

>>I believe that the SP (NOT the SPE!) is as sturdy for target shooting purposes as the 41. That means, as long as you don't drop it, or insist on shooting CCI Stingers or other hyper-velocity ammo through it, there shouldn't be a problem. IIRC, the SP's predecessor, the SPE did have some cracking problems that were fixed in the redesign. The frame and the trigger of the SP are aluminum; I think everything else is steel or wood. Also, since the SP is still being made, getting parts for it shouldn't be a problem.

>>Yes. The SP has a rail machined into the top of it. All you need to do is buy rings and slap your dot on.
Rob

Post by Rob »

My Pardini likes RWS target rifle ammo. That would be $3000.00 of ammo a year!
Rob

Post by Rob »

My Pardini likes RWS target rifle ammo. That would be $3000.00 of ammo a year!

Both excellent, however very different

Post by Guest »

Hi,

You pose a very common question that I haerd a lot in the last year or so. I'll answer your questions first and then give my opnion.

From your post:
========================================
I'm looking for a .22 pistol for informal target shooting and general plinking. I know both the 41 and the SP are overkill for this, but what the heck.

Answer: Yes, I actually consider the SP easier. The 41 strips via pulling down on the trigger guard and then pulling the slide to the rear and then up and off. The recoil spring and guide rod can be a little tricky to line up when putting the slide back on. On the SP, the shroud and barrel come out as a unit, next the slide, recoil spring and guide rod come out. This is as far as either pistol should need to be taken down for normal cleaning.

Answer: The material that a pistol is made out of is less important than the design. Glocks are made of composite materials (plastic) and have proven to be some of the most durable pistols ever made. On the other hand, Nambu's are made of steel and wood and they were one of the least reliable ever made. I have an SPE, Bought used in '86 or '87. I have not had a failure and I don't expect to. I have heard of the frame failures but never seen one. I have seen a number of SPE's in the same age range as mine and all are running fine.

Answer: Both are just as easy as long as both are the latest design. The 41 is drilled and tapped for a rib. (not sure if it's included in the box) and the SP is grooved for rings. A word of caution about the choice of rings on the SP, make sure they properly engage the grooves as many US ring designs do not fit properly.

=========================================

Both the 41 and the SP are very accurate, high quality and dependable. Both will have a very long service life. The differences are significant. The 41 is a sport pistol and the SP is a standard pistol. You have to look at what your going to use the pistol for 90% of the time.

If your plinking tin cans most of your time and only plan to enter the odd match, I would look at the 41. It holds 10 rounds, costs less to purchase and will function with just about any round you can put in it.

If you are going to be shooting matches most of the time, I would go with the SP. In my opnion, it is by far the best choice in a competition pistol for either NRA or ISSF.

Long winded, but still just my 2 cents,

Tom
tenex

Post by tenex »

I moved from a model 41 to a Pardini, and although I think the Pardini is fantastic, I still like the model 41. Here's how I compare them:

Cleaning:
They are both very easy to clean, but I like the model 41 a little better because:
1. No tools are required for the Model 41
2. The sights (iron or dot) stay attached to the barrel
(no possibility of change in point of impact)
3. The barrel takes about 3 seconds to remove and replace

Versatility:
The model 41 is more versatile, you can get several barrels and swap them in seconds. I have one barrel for iron sights and another with a red dot.

Red Dot Mounting:
The 41 (new barrels) use a $5 Weaver base, very simple. The Pardini has a wide groove that you might need a special ring for. I filed down the bases of some millett aluminum rings , and they worked quite well.

Weight and Balance:
The light weight and low scope mounting of the Pardini make it a better choice for mounting a red dot in my opinion. My model 41 balances balances like a brick with a red dot. With iron sights the guns are a lot more even.

Trigger:
No contest, the Pardini trigger is far better.

Grips:
You can get whatever you want with the Pardini, the 41 has ok grips.

Convienience:
The 41 slide will lock back after the last shot, the Pardini will not.

Bottom Line:
The Pardini is an all out competition pistol plain and simple, with a wide variety of grips and a very flexible trigger system. The model 41 is a classic pistol with a pretty finish and a little more flexability of use.

I like both guns a lot, but I turn in better scores with the Pardini. Neither gun will be for sale any time soon.

Steve
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

I assume if your going to put 25-30K rounds a year through it, you're going to be doing a ALOT of plinking.

Every fellow Pardini owner I have spoken with confirms my own experience that the SP22 is very finnicky about ammo. This is not a problem once you find what it likes and you stick to it. But, in your case the narrow ammo choices available for reliable functioning could end up being a very expensive proposition just for plinking.

Have you considered the Hammerli Trailside? I have heard it is a very well built gun and will plink all day long. I've have even seen some folks get a trigger job done and use it to compete. It will cost you alot less than the 41 or the Pardini.

I would also suggest looking at the Ruger Mark II series. The Rugers are overbuilt to last several lifetimes, very accurate, parts are cheap and widely available and accessorizing is verrrry simple. Magazines hold 10 (I think). The triggers can also be vastly improved with a trigger job which will run anywhere from 50-150 dollars depending on how much you want to spend.

Hands down the Pardini will run circles around the 41 when it comes to triggers (right out of the box). The Pardini trigger is also adjustable in just about every way possible. However, the Pardini's 5 round magazine capacity makes it much less desirable for plinking.

Good luck to you.
Swede

Post by Swede »

Buy a Hämmerli.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Regarding all the comments about Pardini SPs being finicky about ammo, I've got to disagree.

Mine digests everything from Federal Lightning to Aguila's Match ammo to Eley Tenex and Remington Target. I have not found any ammo that has caused a jam.

Unless I've got the only magically reliable SP on the planet, I don't see a problem with the gun.

For those that are having problems, are you sure it's the ammo and not the magazines (and the ejector on the magazine) that are causing the problem?

From what I've seen of international shooting competitors so far, most are far more likely to blame ammo on problems caused by guns that aren't set up properly.
Spotted Ghost

S&W41 vs Pardini sp

Post by Spotted Ghost »

25,000 to 50.000 rounds pr. year? Thats about full time plinking, I think.
As with most .22 match autos, some malfunctions are to be expected. The Partini .22 is, once the brand of ammo it prefers is revealed, will function more reliably than the S&W 41. Acording to my experiences.
But the S&W is a lovely all time classic. Well made, shiny. But reliability? Well....

Regards,

Spotted Ghost
Spotted Owl

Re: S&W41 vs Pardini sp

Post by Spotted Owl »

Spotted Ghost wrote: But the S&W is a lovely all time classic. Well made, shiny. But reliability? Well....
Can you be more specific? What kind of unreliability have you encountered with the 41?
Spotted Ghost

S&W 41 vs Haemmerli SP 20.

Post by Spotted Ghost »

Unreliability with the S&W 41? As with (too) many .22 autos it is the lack of reliable cycling of the slide. Caused by stoppage at feeding the next cartridge from the magazine. Or, more seldom, unreliable ejection of the spent case.
Match .22 autos are prone to jam. Frequent cleaning sometimes helps some. But not always.
The general reason for the jams can probably be attributed to the rimmed case design, and the relatively weak ammunition, I think.
The S&W 41 is by modern standards not a real match .22 pistol. It is someting between a plinker and a match gun. Once there was manufactured a CO2 "feel and look-alike" to the 41. It was powered by a small CO2 cartridge in the grip. It was no more than a plinker, though.
But I always liked the looks of the S&W 41 .22 auto...

Spotted Guest
Spotted Owl

Almost convinced...

Post by Spotted Owl »

Thanks for all of your comments.

Based on what I've read, it seems like the Pardini is definately a step above the 41 both in accuracy and function. The only problem I have with it at this point is the fact that I'd be buying one sight unseen. I don't know of any dealers here in the S.F. Bay Area that stock the SP, while one of the local indoor ranges has a rental 41, which I've handled and shot extensively.

Then there's the hassle of finding an FFL willing to take care of the transfer from Nygord or whoever I'd end up buying the SP from.
toz35m

SP

Post by toz35m »

If you are in the san francisco bay area I know of one person that would be more than happy to assist you in the tranfer of a SP or any other target pistol from another dealer. He would not over charge you like some shops out there. Feel free to contact me via email and I will introdue you to this establishment. I am in the midst of having a Morini being done the same way.
dctfn

Post by dctfn »

I have the Trailside and the Ruger Mark II. Both are very comparable from 25 yards. I shoot both using a red dot sight (Ultra Dot). Very durable equipment. I highly recommend them considering their attractive price range as well.

dctfn

Post by Guest »

do either have dry fire capability?
dctfn

Post by dctfn »

You can dry fire the Ruger. Sig strongly discourages dryfiring the Trailside. Although, you can use a snap cap and will not damage the firing pin.

dctfn
sparky

Post by sparky »

IIRC, this isn't correct. Dryfiring the Ruger (like doing the same on the Sig) without a snapcap/used case will cause the firing pin to strike where the rim of the case normally sits, raising a burr.
dctfn wrote:You can dry fire the Ruger. Sig strongly discourages dryfiring the Trailside. Although, you can use a snap cap and will not damage the firing pin.

dctfn
dctfn

Post by dctfn »

Sparky,

Thanks for the info. Why doesn't Ruger publicize this information? I use snap caps in all my guns when dryfiring, just for extra precaution. I apologize if I miss-led anyone on the dryfiring subject. I will contact Ruger with this concern and report back.

dctfn