Ideas on pistol for beginner?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Jeffries

Ideas on pistol for beginner?

Post by David Jeffries »

My wife is looking to purchase an inexpensive, 1st air pistol, Co2 or CA. Never tried this discipline and would like one to basically play with. Any ideas?
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

Check http://www.pilkguns.com/usedguns.htm there are two CO2 air pistols.
CraigE

good first pistols

Post by CraigE »

CO2 will be very forgiving and extremely efficient for starting out. The quality of the used pistols in the CO2 arena match well with the CA variety new. Pilkington will steer you well. No problems here with CO2 and over a year of shooting with a quality used pistol...an LP1. It is a pistol that will exceed (or hopefully keep up) with my abilities for a long time. Others out there can be as good. Quality has no regrets. Good shooting. Craig
akihmsa

Re: Ideas on pistol for beginner?

Post by akihmsa »

Hi David

A couple of questions come to mind, what do you consider inexpensive? and Is she interested in competition or just becoming a better pistol shot?

Most air pistols are capable of doing beter than the shooter, I know mine are ;~)
David Jeffries wrote:My wife is looking to purchase an inexpensive, 1st air pistol, Co2 or CA. Never tried this discipline and would like one to basically play with. Any ideas?
Jay V

Re: Ideas on pistol for beginner?

Post by Jay V »

David Jeffries wrote:My wife is looking to purchase an inexpensive, 1st air pistol, Co2 or CA. Never tried this discipline and would like one to basically play with. Any ideas?
One thing to consider, if she is interested in competing, is her arm strength. She should be able to hold the pistol 1-handed for 40 individual shots, resting between shots. For that reason, a smaller "junior", "lite", or "short" pistol may be a good way to go. The problem is the limited choices that you have in these pistols in the used market. Less expensive CO2 pistols are OK, but some don't hold enough CO2 to fire an entire match - which can be a pain. I like the CO2 guns with the removable cylinder, like compressed air, that you can chill, fill, and weigh. We have purchased a couple used Pardini K-60 CO2 guns a while ago from Pilkington, and have been very pleased. They are nicely balanced, not too heavy, but are not junior size.

Talk to Warren at Pilkington (931) 924-3400, he'll steer you in the right direction for your needs and budget.

Jay V
aiac-airguns.org
David Jeffries

Inexpensive

Post by David Jeffries »

Inexpensive to me would be 350 or less. Thanks for all the replies, there are some real good ones to consider.
akihmsa

Re: Inexpensive

Post by akihmsa »

In that $ range, the Tau-7 comes to mind for a CO2 powered gun. I have used them and find them very good, I like the balance better than the IZH-46M which is also in your price range though not a CO2 or Compressed AIR gun. There is a Tau-7 in my future purchases, I like CO2 for the ease of use, and the Tau is more than adequate for me to win at the State level assuming I do my part. I am not that good but there isn't much competition where I live ;~)
David Jeffries wrote:Inexpensive to me would be 350 or less. Thanks for all the replies, there are some real good ones to consider.