Rapid Fire A-P?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
william

Rapid Fire A-P?

Post by william »

What exactly is the status of R-F air? Do any of the governing bodies accept it as an official event, or is it stuck in limbo?
David Levene

Re: Rapid Fire A-P?

Post by David Levene »

william wrote:What exactly is the status of R-F air? Do any of the governing bodies accept it as an official event, or is it stuck in limbo?
I presume that by "R-F air" you are referring to either the 10m Air Pistol 5 Target Event or the 10m Air Pistol Standard Event, both of which are covered by section 8.20 of the ISSF Rules.

They cannot become fully recognised ISSF events until the requirements in ISSF rule 3.3.8 have been met.

3.3.8 New events can be added to the list of ISSF recognized events after
the following conditions have been met:
3.3.8.1 A minimum of five (5) member federations in two (2) continents must
certify that the event is practiced in that country;
3.3.8.2 The appropriate ISSF Section Committee must develop rules for the
event;
3.3.8.3 Approval by the Administrative Council;
3.3.8.4 Approval by the General Assembly.

I do not believe that the requirements of 3.3.8.1 have yet been met. Even when they have been I feel that further progress would probably be delayed for fear of the new events jeapordizing 25m RF in the Olympics.
scout18

Post by scout18 »

what pistol do you use for R F air?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Most people use the Steyr LP5 or the new LP50 (in the UK) - I use the LP5.

Rob.

Steyr LP 5 unintended multiple disscharges

Post by Guest »

I am an (unlucky) owner of a new Steyr LP 5 "rapid-fire" precharged air pistol.
Right from the box it sometimes fired 2 or 3 very rapid shots with one pull of the trigger. Most surprising and disencouraging.

I have managed to fire over thousand pellets through the pistol now. But the multiple discharges continues. In the beginning I could shoot 20 or even 30 shots between multiples. But the frequency of the multiples has increased steadily.

At least two other owners of LP 5s have experienced the same problem with their pistols, I have been told.

Does anybody know the remedy?
David Levene

Re: Steyr LP 5 unintended multiple disscharges

Post by David Levene »

Guest wrote: Does anybody know the remedy?
I have owned an LP5 since '97. It is a fantastic gun but there is no way that I would play about with anything other than the basic trigger settings. Everything else is too inter-dependant. Take my advice and do what I did when I had this problem, send it to a factory trained mechanic for a service/adjustment.
guest (again)

multiple discharging Steyr LP5

Post by guest (again) »

Thanks for your post, David.

Yes, I could send it back to the factory. But then, a nonfunctioning gun right out of the box, brand new? I think that is not fair to the consumer.

And, no, I did not change any trigger settings.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Not suggesting that you send it back to the factory, send it to a factory TRAINED mechanic. You will probably find that the importer in your country (?) has such a person. I presume that it is still under warranty so you shouldn't have a problem.

You are right, guns should work straight out of the box. That the LP5 relies on very fine initial adjustments (which, once set right, normally hold for years) is not really an acceptable excuse.
pilkguns.

Post by pilkguns. »

try turning the red marked screw on the side very slightly counter clockewise. By very slightly, I mean no more than 10 degrees at a time.

As David said there is a delicate balance of all the various adjustements, and best thing to do would be have someone qualified to look at it adjust it but you can try this much. If it gets worse, then start back slowly to where you were.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

If a new gun malfunctions straight from the box then return it to the supplier straight away. How can you expect to complete a 60 shot competition with the thing liable to miss fire for example ?

I guess it's same with everything, there will be the odd technical problem but it's under warranty and as a consumer you should return it. Sure you could try the tweeks yourself but how do you know you've sorted it properly ? A trained Steyr mechanic should be able to do the job straight away and make sure nothing else is functioning incorrectly.

Rob.
Mike McDaniel

Need new rules for RF air

Post by Mike McDaniel »

I remain of the opinion that RF air needs new rules if it is to succeed.

Let's back up - what's the problem with cartridge RF? TARGETS! You can count on your fingers the number of RF bays available in the United States. Which means that there is a need for RF air to have a target setup that is cheap enough for an individual shooter to own, and small enough to be put in the trunk of a car and taken to matches.

The falling target setup? Actually, I think this has merit. Dig into it, and you will find that Olympic RF used to be scored hit-or-miss. Binary scoring - which made it very quick. But they had a 2-second string, also.

What I would favor is a 3-target falling-plate setup. This would be around 30 inches long, and thus small enough to fit into a car without problems. I'm open to arguments over whether the timing should be 6, 4, and 2 seconds, or just to go to 4-second timing and covers to decrease the size of the target.

Opinions?
dps1226

LP5 multiple firing

Post by dps1226 »

Hope you have completed the fix....the Pilkguns response should effect the fix.......mine was a full auto five shot . If you have not fixed, call Don Nygord @ Nygord Precision..... He walked me thru the fix which was as follows:

take off the grips and look at the trigger assembly - the very most rearward screw (it may have a dab of red paint on it) is the sear engagement adjustment. Turn this screw 1/2 turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE and then try shooting the gun again. This should do it. If not, try another 1/2 turn.
A-P full auto

Unintentional full auto fire of Steyr LP5 / LP50 A-P pistols

Post by A-P full auto »

Thank you, DPS 1226.

Seems there is a relatively high percentage of full auto firing Steyr A-Ps out there. Maybe some representative of the company could post some information on this topic? The time is due.

Yes, I am aware of the sear adjustment option. But too much overlap of the sliding surfaces of the sear results in creep. We expect an expensive match gun to have a reasonably crisp trigger, don´t we? But I will try out your suggestion.

So, thanks for our info, 1226. Let me add that I wander about the synonyme of yours. It is definitely not a convict-number....
David Levene

Re: Unintentional full auto fire of Steyr LP5 / LP50 A-P pis

Post by David Levene »

A-P full auto wrote:Yes, I am aware of the sear adjustment option. But too much overlap of the sliding surfaces of the sear results in creep. We expect an expensive match gun to have a reasonably crisp trigger, don´t we? But I will try out your suggestion.
The LP5 is a fantastic gun for the multi-shot events it was designed to compete in.

Don't expect it to have the same quality of trigger as the top level single shot pistols. It hasn't.
Spencer C

Re: Need new rules for RF air

Post by Spencer C »

Mike McDaniel wrote:I remain of the opinion that RF air needs new rules if it is to succeed.

Let's back up - what's the problem with cartridge RF? TARGETS! You can count on your fingers the number of RF bays available in the United States. Which means that there is a need for RF air to have a target setup that is cheap enough for an individual shooter to own, and small enough to be put in the trunk of a car and taken to matches.
So what gives in the USA??? The RFP target set up is the same as for Standard, Centre Fire, 25m Womens (and 25m ISCD, Junior, etc.), This is not a target configuration exclusive to Rapid Fire. If the targets are not there for RFP, they are not there for the other ISSF/ISCD 25m matches.

Within 30-40 minutes drive from my home (in pistol unfriendly Australia) there are six club ranges where RFP is a regular match, take this out to a 60 minute drive and the number of ranges goes up to around nine or ten. While not all Australians are in this situation the situation would be similar for most of our major population centres.

Regards,

Spencer
David Levene

Re: Need new rules for RF air

Post by David Levene »

Spencer C wrote:Within 30-40 minutes drive from my home (in pistol unfriendly Australia) there are six club ranges where RFP is a regular match, take this out to a 60 minute drive and the number of ranges goes up to around nine or ten. While not all Australians are in this situation the situation would be similar for most of our major population centres.
Before we lost our pistols we had a similar situation here in the UK. The situation on mainland Europe is even better.
dps1226

Re: Unintentional full auto fire of Steyr LP5 / LP50 A-P pis

Post by dps1226 »

A-P full auto wrote:Thank you, DPS 1226.

Seems there is a relatively high percentage of full auto firing Steyr A-Ps out there. Maybe some representative of the company could post some information on this topic? The time is due.

Yes, I am aware of the sear adjustment option. But too much overlap of the sliding surfaces of the sear results in creep. We expect an expensive match gun to have a reasonably crisp trigger, don´t we? But I will try out your suggestion.

So, thanks for our info, 1226. Let me add that I wander about the synonyme of yours. It is definitely not a convict-number....

The # 1226 is the number on the back of my Distinguished Pistol Shot(DPS) badge. I started shooting AP to improve my Bullseye shooting.
Now it is all I can do to put down the Steyr.