Hammerli SP 20- Opinions wanted

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
manuel

Hammerli SP 20- Opinions wanted

Post by manuel »

I need opinions about Hammerli SP 20. Thanks.
Paul.

Sp20

Post by Paul. »

Opinions

SP20RRS in .22
I went to buy a Pardini, but put the Hammerli in my hand and could not put it down. All pistols in this class shoot the same. It is really a matter of personal preference. I really like my .22 SP20RRS. It shoots any ammunition, doesn't need to be clean (see below), and always puts the hole where I was aiming when the trigger broke.
I was initially a bit concerned about the composite grip, thinking that wood was better, but shooting it a while changed my opinion. I eventually added paste to the grip, and think that I could perhaps improve the fit marginally. The trigger is superb, the sights are excellent. Friends that have other pistols concur that it is a very fine pistol. Cleaning is easy and non critical, and although I only have about 2000 rounds through it, there have been no problems.

SP20RRS in .32
Based on my experience with the .22, I bought a .32. With the current configuration, I do not recommend buying a conversion kit. Besides the differences in trigger weight, there is a difference in the feed ramp, and the .22 needs light oil, while the .32 has a rubber c-ring that must be greased.
The .32 points and shoots extreemly well. It is more fussy. I have to clean it every 200-250 rounds, or it becomes a single shot pistol, failing to extract.
I had to rely on this list to solve some of the problems with reliability, and have heard of and experienced some quality issues that the factory should have caught.

Overall:
The .22 is an amazing gun that I aspire to shoot to its potential.
If you buy the .22 and shoot center fire, you should buy the .32, but you may have to send it back once.
I bought these with the intention that I would not need to buy another .22 or .32. I believe this will be the case. Mind you, I am not prepared to upgrade from my Steyr LP1 yet either. If the test target shows all five shots in one hole, who am I to argue.
Spottet bird

Haemmerli SP 20 .22, opinions wanted

Post by Spottet bird »

The first specimens of the SP 20 that left the factory obviously had some flaws. Flaws that the quality control should have picked up. I consider them prototypes. I have seen 1 split frame (ocurred during my countrys Nationals). And some prematurely broken springs. But that was in the beginning. The current manufacture is reasonably reliable, I am told, and some shoot it well.
It is difficult to explain, but I simply never liked it. It was top heavy, and I neer liked the plastic grips (well, wood is available as an option). Flashy colors; pink and metallic blue. Yes, but no, I grew up with Walther GSPs, Haemmerli 208s and Domino/FAS. In my country the Haemmerli SP 20 is fading out of favor, it seems.

Spotted Bird.
sonny

Hammerli SP20

Post by sonny »

I love my SP20, it's a .32 cal and can beat any other gun in its category
international center fire of bullseye, does not make different: unbeatable!
Hami

sp 20

Post by Hami »

I would like to say the SP-20 OK gun but I had to much problem with it,
dps1226

SP20

Post by dps1226 »

Definitely like mine..... It has not malfunctioned in over 8K rounds
I have both grips ( forward cant and upright) Like the upright the best.
Have been trying to get a better barrel for 50 yards. Just a quirk of mine,
I like to have the most accurate of whatever I am shooting and even
though I know it can shoot a clean target, I would like all to be X's and have the most accurate barrel available. I have the earlier model
w/o rrs .....Originally tried the 208 and could not shoot the two stage trigger. Now, I like and have learned to shoot the two stage and have my SP20 set up as two stage. Originally,I had it as single stage. It was not as good a trigger @ single stage as my High Standard. It is definitely more reliable than the High Standard. If anyone can get 8K round thru a High Standard without a malfunction, They need to gold plate and frame it.