Foam for new AP case

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mack

Foam for new AP case

Post by Mack »

I just won a nice leather hard sided brief case. I have no use for it other than making it into an AP case. This will allow me to put the AP, targets, glasses, etc in 1 case instead of having to haul around a backpack. I need to pad the case. Where is a good place to look for the appropriate foam? Anything to steer clear of?

TIA
Mack
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

I posted similar question about year ago and the answer was - look in Yellow Pages in your area under foam and rubber suppliers.
Marley

Boogie Board and an electric knife

Post by Marley »

For a cheap solution til you source out the foam...try an old boogie board that has not been in salt water lately, draw out your cuts with a Sharpie, then use an electric knife or a serrated long knife to make your cuts. Let us know if you find a good source of high density foam.
scout18

Post by scout18 »

I made a case out of my dewalt sawsall box. I got egg crate foam at a local foam dealer. It was about 15 bucks for enough foam to do both sides. sure holds the AP nice though.

Pelican foam

Post by Guest »

Pelican which makes equipment cases- sells the "pick n pluck" foam which is semi cut in small squares. It is available in different sizes. Try B and H Photo and Video in NYC.

A note of caution- many "white foam" products give off chemical fumes-even at room temp. Camera manufactures caution against useing them-I use only the black foam designed for photo use, both in camera cases and in by gun cases. The Pelican foam is cheap, and worth the price. Greg Derr
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

The foam I covet for this purpose is closed cell polyethylene foam. It is the foam that is probably used in Marley's boogie board. I find it once in a while at work used as packing for equipment. This foam is pretty hard but it springs back when deformed. I made a special tip for my weller soldering gun. I took a piece of 12 ga copper wire and made a hoop type tip to replace the soldering tip. This carves the foam very nicely. You can also start with thin sheets of the foam (1/2" say) and cut it in layers with a knife. Using a knife in the thick foam is hard to do because it is hard to make a square bottom. Here is an online source for closed cell polyethyline foam: http://www.foambymail.com/Polyethylene.html