IZH 46 M accuracy

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gardell

IZH 46 M accuracy

Post by gardell »

I have had my IZH 46 M for about 1 year and fired about 4000 pellets thru it. I am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. My offhand scores have been improving and are around 530/600. I have also been testing it for accuracy using sandbags and lots of different kinds of pellets. I glass bedded the grips (they no longer loosen up over time) and made a palm rest with a 3.5 x 7.5" base to rest on the rear sandbag. It is rock solid. I mounted a 12X air rife scope. When the gun fires there is sometime a noticeable movement (recoil?) of perhaps 1/8" of the cross hairs on the target. I oil the gun per the manual but have not yet disassembled it for cleaning.

As an example, with RWS R10 light, the average of 12 ea 5 shot groups is 0.32" CTC. Average velocity for 50 shots is 443 with a std dev of 8.9 fps. I can cock the gun and leave it for several hours with no noticeable change in velocity.

Is this level of accuracy to be expected for this gun? Any recommendations on things to improve accuracy? I am considering re-crowning the barrel, any suggestions on a profile? I realize improved accuracy will not have any effect on my score but I like to tinker anyway.
LesJ

Re: IZH 46 M accuracy

Post by LesJ »

" When the gun fires there is sometime a noticeable movement (recoil?) of perhaps 1/8" of the cross hairs on the target."

That would indicate inconsistency in something, possibly the way you grip pistol or more likely trigger release.

Gun moves when fired

Post by Guest »

I am pretty sure it is not my trigger release, when I am resting on sandbags, I squeeze the trigger very slowly. It probably does depend on how I hold the gun onto the sandbags. It is not noticable without the 12 X scope. Not noticable when dry firing.
TomF

Post by TomF »

The gun recoils. Dont worry about it. Just learn it and live with it. IT is a great gun for the $!
scout18

Post by scout18 »

Your movement is magnified by the scope. I have been shooting mine for a couple of months. I really like it. Of course the only thing I have to compare it to is a $50 dollar Daisy target pistol.
akihmsa

Re: IZH 46 M accuracy

Post by akihmsa »

You didn't state the distance you were shooting at but if .3 at 10 meters is the best it will do then there is room for improvement. I regularly get less than .25 inch 5 shot groups from Daisy 717's and Crosman 1377C's. In fact if I cannot get this level of accuracy then either I have not found the right pellet or something else is amiss and this is using iron (plastic) sights and shooting creedmor style. When a gun won't shoot any pellet well the first thing I look at is the crown.

Good luck!
gardell wrote:I have had my IZH 46 M for about 1 year and fired about 4000 pellets thru it. I am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. My offhand scores have been improving and are around 530/600. I have also been testing it for accuracy using sandbags and lots of different kinds of pellets. I glass bedded the grips (they no longer loosen up over time) and made a palm rest with a 3.5 x 7.5" base to rest on the rear sandbag. It is rock solid. I mounted a 12X air rife scope. When the gun fires there is sometime a noticeable movement (recoil?) of perhaps 1/8" of the cross hairs on the target. I oil the gun per the manual but have not yet disassembled it for cleaning.

As an example, with RWS R10 light, the average of 12 ea 5 shot groups is 0.32" CTC. Average velocity for 50 shots is 443 with a std dev of 8.9 fps. I can cock the gun and leave it for several hours with no noticeable change in velocity.

Is this level of accuracy to be expected for this gun? Any recommendations on things to improve accuracy? I am considering re-crowning the barrel, any suggestions on a profile? I realize improved accuracy will not have any effect on my score but I like to tinker anyway.
Gardell

Post by Gardell »

Yes I am doing all my shooting at 10 M, first I assumed the 0.32" CTC group size was due to my old eyes but they did not improve with the scope. Some pellets group better then others but nothing that looks like some advertisements I have seen. I agree that the recoil is not a problem, I was just wondering if it was normal for this gun. I really like the gun.

The machining on the crown does look kind of rough. I have access to a lathe. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to or how not to remachine the crown? Thanks for all the help
DonM

IZH46M Accuracy

Post by DonM »

Hi,

I checked my records and I am averaging 0.168 in. ctc at 10 meters with my IZH46M (40x5shot groups). I find that the best pellet is a JSB green (pistol, 4.52). The Vogel sports (4.50 mm) gave me slightly looser groups (avg 0.23 in. ctc). I am using a Bushnell sportsman scope at 9x, rested.

Don