Free pistol identification

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BothellBob

Free pistol identification

Post by BothellBob »

Just got back from the gun show. There were two free pistols being offered by the same vendor. He claimed to have acquired the first back in the 80's, but had never bothered firing either, because they were free pistols, and he didn't shoot free pistol. I can appreciate his hesitancy, since we free pistol shooters know that the free pistol is imbued with a certain aura of majesty, and it requires a Prince Among Men, of courage and character, to dare to master the fine trigger, the individualized grips, to scoff at the distances, that mark the grandeur of the free pistol.

The one was marked "Waffen-FURTER, Olten". That seems to be a Swiss firm, but I have found no information about their free pistol. Does anybody know anything about Furter?

The other had no visible markings at all, except "125" stamped in several places. However, it was a bolt action, the back end of the bolt was shaped rather like a Ruger Mark II (a round plate about the size of the receiver, with a pair of opposing, squared ears projecting from the edge). The bolt was actuated by grabbing the ears, giving a twist (maybe an eighth turn), and the spring loaded bolt popped open. A round would then be inserted, the bolt pushed forward, again by the ears, and twisted into locked position. There was a trigger set lever on the left side, somewhat like a Toz. Does that sound at all familiar?

Both appeared to be of quality craftmanship, with fully adjustable triggers and wraparound grips that had received serious attention.
Thank you for any enlightenment you can cast in my direction.

BothellBob

Some people shoot tens, some people just pull triggers...
but real men shoot free pistol, and are overjoyed with keeping them in the black.
My friend told me to take up golf. He said golf would teach me the lessons of humility. I told him I shot free pistol, so I had all the humility I could stand.
davidfagan

Post by davidfagan »

I realize this is real old post, but sure would have liked to have seen that pistol. I own a Furter "free style" pistol but it's not like this. I didn't think he made another style. The one I have he only made 50 of and it needed a letter from him to import it into the country since they didn't know what it was. It's a painful experience which I'm not sure could be done anymore and certainly now would be extremely costly.
He did own the Furter gun shop which is still in Olten it however is not owned by him or his relatives anymore and they were not very helpful.

I have a bit of information I did dig up if anyone is still interested I'll post it, much of it is written in German but I think I can still translate it ;)
diopter

Furter

Post by diopter »

They also did click adjustable rear sights for Swiss M1911 and K31 rifles and diopter sights for the Stgw 57 and 550/PE90 rifles.

see page 4-5

see page18-19
diopter

Furter

Post by diopter »

It has been owned and operated since 2003 by Joachim Ritter.

Waffen Furter
Jurastrasse 10
4600 Olten/SO
062 212 70 61
Fax 062 212 25 59

Thanks Frank.
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

The table holder of that Furter was no longer displaying it as of several years ago. The pistol that I was describing was the other one and turned out to be a Schultz & Larsen: see-
viewtopic.php?p=53940&highlight=#53940
As I recall he wanted about $1k for the Furter. While it combined some rather unusual color combinations, the workmanship was excellent.
-BothellBob
My friend told me to take up golf. He said golf would teach me the lessons of humility. I told him I shot free pistol, so I had all the humility I could stand.
smoke pole

brno free pistol

Post by smoke pole »

It sounds from what you discribed is aBrno free pistol. I used to have one..... A Brno Drulov to be exact..... It had a rotating bolt from the back end and a side cocking mechanizim. The trigger was a button the was about 2-6 ounzes. Hope this helps..... travis
davidfagan

Re: Furter

Post by davidfagan »

diopter wrote:It has been owned and operated since 2003 by Joachim Ritter.

Waffen Furter
Jurastrasse 10
4600 Olten/SO
062 212 70 61
Fax 062 212 25 59

Thanks Frank.
My information says that Albert (Furter) died in 1990 and the letter was written by him so whoever I tried to talk to was certainly a bit prior to the current owner. It also says that Albert was the chief engineer/designer? (Buchsenmacherei) at Hammerli. it is an exceptional quality pistol.
scerir

Re: Free pistol identification

Post by scerir »

a free pistol made by Furter Olten is for sale here (see page 45 of this catalogue)
http://www.kesslerwaffen.ch/Kataloge/Ka ... alog41.pdf