About Hämmerli interchangeable sigths

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Evia

About Hämmerli interchangeable sigths

Post by Evia »

I keep my Hämmerli 208S in the original conditions as I bougth it a few months ago, exception of a XL set of grips from Karl Nill. I acquiered in almost new conditions, with it original box and manual. There's something about the sigths that hits my curiosity. The rear sigth blade is marked "3.6" and the front sigth grain is also marked "3.6". What is the meaning of this number? I learn at the owner's manual of my gun that are available rear sigth blades in 3 sizes (3.2,3.6 and 4) and and twelve different sizes of front sigths. My question maybe souds stupid but, What is the need for so much different sizes of sigths? My previous gun (for almost 2 years) was a SW41 and, as far I know, there's not a variety of sizes of sigths available from SW. I saw that at Larry's guns are available some sizes of blades. What is a 4 sigth for?

Ahother question. In all the ISSF and Bullseye shooting web pages and all the forums that I have found trought the net, everybody saids that the best standard pistol ever produced was the 208S. Some said that the 208S is an "Special edition". The guys who don't own one wishes to buy and the lucky ones who already have never think in sell them. Not to mention the prices. Some are sell for $ 2,500 dolars.So, my question is simple, why Hämmerli cessed the production of this model, if it was a hit in sales?

Thanks,

Evia
GOVTMODEL

Hammerli 208s

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The Hammerli 208s was a very expensive gun to manufacture. Lots of expensive machine work by experienced (expensive) craftsmen.

The SP20 retails for about $500US less than the 208s, is less expensive to make, and has a higher profit margin.

All in all, an easy business decision to make:-)
Paul.

208s popularity

Post by Paul. »

My understanding is that the 208s is more popular in the US than many other countries. The grip angle is close to that of the 1911, so it is a very popular gun for NRA 2700 because of it's accuracy and similar feel to the 45. When it was replaced with the 280, the grip angle was more similar to other European pistols, but the height of the barrel was too high. The SP20 lowered the barrel, and kept the grip angle. The current SP20RRS adds the internal buffer and has better sights.
The 208 is a very fine, accurate gun. The SP20RRS is evolutionary in its refinements.
deleted1

Numbers

Post by deleted1 »

The 3.2 etc etc. refers to the width of the rear notch or front blade in mm.
F. Paul

Post by F. Paul »

Evia,

The availability of different sized rear and front sights is a way to provide serious shooters with different sight pictures according to preference.

I have found that as my eyes of have aged, I need a little more light on each side of the front sight while it sits in the rear notch. This requires either a smaller front sight or a wider rear one.

Even if your eyes have not aged is not a a problem, different lighting conditions found shooting indoors and outdoors also make sight versatility a very good idea.

I wish I could find a rear sight replacement for my 208 that is like the one that came with Steyr LP50 air pistol - it can be adjusted to open and close depending on what I feel like. Let me know if you ever see one like this that is adaptable to the 208.

Good shooting to you.

F. Paul