What is best trigger pull weight for a CM84e?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Greg Knutzen

What is best trigger pull weight for a CM84e?

Post by Greg Knutzen »

How do you know how low of trigger pull weight to set? What are your thoughts on when to lower the weight and when to stop weight reduction.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Lots of "depends"

Tight Grip requires heavier trigger weight ...

Do you feel you need a tight grip to get tight groups?

Is your grip fit so good that you don't have to grip the grip ... and can just touch off the shot ... ?

Do you "pulse" your trigger finger ...

You must be able to comfortably and confidentally control the trigger, ie. you want to be able to put your finger to the trigger and know that it won't go off until you want it to ...

Realize that in a match, your nerves might be such that you might accidentally discharge a very light trigger ... and you might need more control/trigger weight.

In cold weather, you might have less feeling in your trigger finger ...

Some top shooters have amazingly how trigger weights ... 5+ grams ... others use 30/40 grams ...
Pradeep

Post by Pradeep »

I find it better to have plenty of weight on a free pistol trigger, that way you aren't scared to put your finger on there. IMO it's easier to snatch the trigger when it is too light.
Paul.

Trigger weight

Post by Paul. »

While I am still a new FP shooter, so far I have found my favourite weight to be enough that I can rest my finger on the trigger without fear, but little enough so I don't have to worry about "pulling" the trigger. The best way to describe it is that I try to get about the same pressure as I need to click my mouse. If only Morini would use the same microswitch as my mouse, my dryfire practice would be 8 hours+ per day (do I hear retrofit?)
deleted1

FP Trigger Pull

Post by deleted1 »

IMHO the trigger pull as previously described sounds like a good thought---but, in practical terms 18-20 grams should give you that combination as a good start. You can feel the trigger and still have to sq-u-e-e-e-e-ze. The very light trigger on the other hand of 8~15 grams is much more susceptible to the "snatch" as desribed. These lighter pulls I would leave to the experts. As far as "feathering" (vibrating) the trigger finger---I personally found this to be a frustrating way to achieve a good release. I know there are several proponents of this technique out there but it didn't seem to help me personally. BTW do you all notice that you never hear anything like this question being openly discussed from our USAS or OTC shooters?
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Good Question: No simple answer. First I would recommend starting with a rather heavy trigger maybe 80-100 grams. Most new shooters to Free Pistol have lots to get acustomed to,it is needless to compound an already difficult new venture with some "unexpected shots" in the bench or in the ground.

The previous posts all are correct in some respects. The trigger weight should be set as to allow some "control" of the process but not so much as to cause excess movement prior to the shot. In the beginning the heavy trigger allows some sense of control and builds confidence, were a few shots in the bench or on the target way out may dampen spirits. As you progress you will want to decrease the weight, when you feel comfortable. This is part of learning. The actual weight is really of no matter, control of the shot is. For example when I was on the US Team my trigger weigth was 40 grams. Some may think that high, but the proof is in the results. If the conditions changed IE: ambient temps, my trigger finger sensativity would change, if this occured I would either add or subtract weight as needed to get the proper "feel" of the trigger. The "feel" is what I was after, this is a place were I had some control but could use the subconscience to release the shot(this will all come later to you). One instance in Japan we were shooting a world cup. The range was in the hills an FP day was cold and raw. Being from New England I had seen this before. The trigger was raised to allow for the cold fingertips which lost some feeling. I also shot with a hooded jacket which suprised some spectators, but that day there were some cold fingers and shooters. The 80 gram trigger got me into 6th I think. Also on that day Taniu Kiriakov of Bulgaria shot a 580 in FP for a new World Record. After the matcha nd finals I asked Taniu what weight he was shooting, 100 grams he said.

Lesson here is that once you get a "feel" for the trigger, try to keep it.
As for the pulsing of the trigger, there are days this may work. But like walking the edge of a knife, the control is very edgey at best.

Greg Derr
Bruce Martindale

Post by Bruce Martindale »

Brian Zins is shooting 80 grams in a TOZ, Daryl Szarenski was shooting a Morini at 24 grams if I remember correctly. Use what works for you.

I found change is good. Tried a 3-10 gram trigger and couldnt control it at all. Seem that I was unable to initiate movement without jerks in the other fingers.