Training methods for 20" and 10" stages in standar

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Evia

Training methods for 20" and 10" stages in standar

Post by Evia »

Hello folks,

As I don't have a coach here in my town at Mexico, I'm forced to be in a continuous search of iformation about how to improve my scores shooting standard pistol. I have improved my scores in the 150" seconds phase very much (actually 90-95 in a practices, 80-90 in a match), but I need to improve my 20" and 10" scores (65-75 average)

Knowing that some coaches and advanced shooters are here, Can somebody help me with some advise? My only actual source of information is the "US Army marksmanship Unit training manual", that I found not very clear. I just have purchased a Gil Hebbard's book "The Pistol Shooting Treasure", but it's not in my hands yet.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Manuel Evia
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

You may have already come across this, but if not, it is worth a look

www.pilkguns.com/c13.htm

Something to add which a pistol coach recently told me regarding the 20 second series. Many people shoot the 20 second string like a "slow rapid" series rather than (as it should be) a fast precision series. Most people shoot it far too fast. He immediately illustrated the point as we were watching close to 20 people shooting Standard at the National New Zealand ISSF Pistol Champs at the National Shooting complex. Probably 3/4 of the competitors had their pistols on the benches by the 15 second mark. Only one shooter was "following through" after the last shot when the targets turned away at 20 seconds (I think he may have won).
Evia

Timing

Post by Evia »

Yes, you're rigth. Timing is very important in that sessions. Normally, I don't use all the 20"...Maybe that is a very important factor to take in consideration.

Thank you
F. Paul

Post by F. Paul »

Evia:

Many top shooters believe that it is best to simplify your training.

DO NOT train to shoot the 20 second string. Learning only one cadence instead of two is much more efficient in the long run.

Instead of training for the 20 second string, spend that precious time training to shoot the 10 second string. Learn to shoot it with good cadence, good rhythm above all - smoothly.

Erich Buljung, the US Olympic shooting coach has a saying - "Smoother is faster." Simple but very true.

Once you gain skill in the 10 second string, you should shoot the 20 second string with the same exact same cadence and rhythm.

When you do shoot the 20 second series, you can keep a thought in the back of your mind - "If something breaks my concentration or my shot just wont break or my sights wont line up - I still have extra time to recover and proceed.

Since you MUST learn to shoot the 10 second series anyway, you may as well put it to good use in the 20 second series as well.

YES - in the beginning your scores in the 20 second series might suffer but in the long run your rapid fire shooting scores will all increase.

This advice has served me very well.

F. Paul
Bruce Martindale

Post by Bruce Martindale »

Same is true in Bullseye, the groups are universally better in rapid than in timed.

Fast is in! I shoot SF in doubles and triples. I am always amazed that in standard I never feel rushed in rapid and still have time left, makes Bullseye seem slow. I havent had the courage to shoot that way in bullseye and perhaps have lost out for not doing so.

I have also won the Sectional gold or silver each year as well as the NY State Championship by shooting mid 560's
Rob

Post by Rob »

Question for Bruce...Cernter hold?