Free Pistol Advice..

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fabian

Free Pistol Advice..

Post by Fabian »

I'm going to start shooting free pistol, but don't want to spent a fortune on a new gun. I have seen a few used guns, today I was offered a Hammerli 152, old but in excellent condition, no case. Will this be a good starter weapon? How much would be reasonable to pay?
Mike Taylor

Price

Post by Mike Taylor »

I just purchased a used Hammerli 152 for CDN$1050. It looked in good shape except for a spot of rust on the rear sight. I haven't taken delivery yet, so I can't say for sure it was a good deal :-)
At the same gun show, there was a "new" (never used) Walther FP (Walther's electronic trigger free pistol that is no longer made and for which the electronics are unavailable) for CDN$1200, a Hammerli 120 for CDN$450, and a Drulov 75 (the one with the set-trigger) for CDN$285. I'm also aware of a Hammerli 160 for which the asking price is CDN$1400.
GOVTMODEL

Free Pistol

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I haven't heard anything good about the Walther Free Pistol. The electronic trigger is no longer supported by Walther and when it goes you're in trouble.

The Hammerli 160 has a good reputation. I've not seen a Hammerli 120 or a Drulov.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

The Hammerli 152 is as good a starter free pistol as any. In fact, it's more than just a starter gun as it has everything you need to become extremely competitive. Yes, it's not new. But new isn't what counts. What really matters is your ability to get the gun to fit you well. If the gun can be made to fit you comfortably then you'll be able to achieve decent scores with it. One point to note is that rake angle on the 152 is probably the most extreme of all free pistols. I have a 150, a TOZ35 and a Morini CM84E, and of the three the 150 has the most acutely raked grip. Some folks like this, some don't. Again, it's all a matter of how well the gun fits you. If there's any way to try it before you buy it, I'd recommend you do so.

Just as a case in point with regard to pistol fit, I've seen a local shooter obtain scores in the high 520's with a standard pistol! The gun fit him well and he knew how to shoot it. There's nothing stopping you from shooting 550's or better with a Hammerli 152 - the pistol itself is capable of shooting 600 - your skill will be the determining factor in scores obtained.

As for price, Mike's given you an idea of the pricing on the Canadian market. The US market generally features higher pricing on used guns.

Mark.
Mark Briggs

NOTE TO MIKE TAYLOR

Post by Mark Briggs »

This is a note in reply to Mike Taylor's post.

It's great to see you're going to join the Free Pistol fraternity, Mike. I look forward to seeing you on the line at the Nationals this summer. But I think you're going to have to get a truck to haul around your gun box if you continue to acquire new playtoys! ;-)

Good luck with the new 152!

Cheers,
Mark.

PS: We never did make it to Kelowna last summer after the nationals. So it wasn't me who dropped the lit match in the forest, honest! ;-)
F. Paul

Post by F. Paul »

I also have been recently bitten by the same free pistol bug. FP is the one discipline I have avoided because it seemed boring - until last night.

I had a great time shooting an older TOZ which seemed to fit comfortably and shoot great.

I noticed that Nygord's has a TOZ 35M available for $995 USD.

Can anyone share their experiences with the TOZ35M. I have heard some criticize the gun for using "soft metal" but no nothing else about it.

Thanks to brain trust out there
deleted1

Free Pistol

Post by deleted1 »

I think the TOZ is still the gun that one sees most often at matches both locally and on the International scene. It, the TOZ, needs to appreciated as it ain't exactly the prettiest finish and may need some tweaking when you get a new one. I was told it was originally designed to help put up barbed wire fences during the week and shoot in matches on the weekend. It is a rugged gun with a most forgiving trigger---and may have some issues with canted fron signts (easily fixed) and in need of a taller front sight (for center hold). The loading process sometimes may have issues with "short-stroking" which usually fails to set the striker---all overcome with care and practise and sometimes a little Dremel action on the inside of the grips. All of these are minor annoyances when you factor in it's quality accuracy and it's lower cost. A carefully used, non modified Hammerli 160 Special can bring a price around $1800.
Mike Taylor

reply to Mark Briggs

Post by Mike Taylor »

Thanks for the good wishes, Mark, but I have been shooting free pistol since the late 70s. Started with a Hammerli 104 (which Graeme N. now owns, I believe), then had a Walther FP for a couple of years. More recently I've been using a Morini CM 80 Super Competition. Not quite sure why I bought the 152. I think the idea of the electronic trigger attracted me, and I do like the look and feel of the gun - plus, I had sold a gun, so there was an empty space in the cupboard :-)
I know you didn't start the Okanagan Mountain Park fire. The lightning strike that started it woke me up at 2am. (The Okanagan doesn't see many thunderstorms, fortunately.)