Hammerli 208S vs. Hammerli SP20

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Evia

Hammerli 208S vs. Hammerli SP20

Post by Evia »

Dear Friends:

I'm considering the possibilitie to star all the troublesome procedures to legally import a new standard pistol to my country. I currently own a Hämmerli 208S but the SP20 catches my atention. As I can't test the SP20, could you please give me some advise of the gun against the 208S?

Thanks!!!
Mike Taylor

Post by Mike Taylor »

The SP20 has the advantage when considering sights.
The front sight has three different widths available, built-in, just by turning the sight post on a vertical axis that is perpendicular to the axis of the barrel. That is, one does not have to remove one sight post and replace it with another, just loosen the lock screw and twist the sight post to select another width. However, this "tri-lobe" front sight post can be removed and replaced with another post having a different set of three widths.
The rear sight notch is adjustable for width and depth. Additionally, the rear sight has pictograms illustrating how to achieve a particular adjustment for each of the four sight adjustment screws (windage, elevation, notch width, notch depth). I found these pictograms to be readily understood - no need to refer to the instruction booklet or to a scrap of paper for details on how to adjust the sight, no need to translate a foreign language.
The SP20 also offers the advantage of being convertible to .32 calibre (assuming one has the conversion parts available) - although I find it is not as readily converted as the older model Walther GSP.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Though as Mike has pointed out, while the triangular shaped foresight on the SP20 is an interesting innovation, it is not without its problems. I have seen two SP20's both with the same problem of not being able to adjust the sights to the extent of enabling for centre-hold for the duelling section of 25m Sports Pistol / Centrefire due to the foresight not being tall enough. It seemed to be worse for the .22 barrel than the .32. (see the recent posting on "Hammerli SP20 sights - need help with adjusting them..."). It seems like an odd design fault to have appearing on a pistol made by Hammerli, but it seems to be not uncommon.
If you like your 208s, well the SP20 is a VERY different pistol. About the only thing they have in common is that they both are / were made by Hammerli. Some people seem to be very polarised by the SP20 and either love or hate them. I can't say that I have been too thrilled with my SP20 experience finding the stock gun to be quite light and the firing point between the first and second stages of the trigger spongy - something that couldn't seem to be removed despite going back to the start of the trigger setup procedure. The plastic grip feels a bit strange, but no doubt something that one could get use to.
The pistol which closest mimics the 208s in production today is probably the Feinwerkbau AW93, though it doesn't give you a .32 option and is heavier out-front (the barrel weight is an integral part of the recoil reduction system). Now if only FWB would make a .32 pistol based on the AW93....ah well...dreams are free.
tito

feinwerkbau aw93

Post by tito »

que paso compadre hasta aqui nos encontramos,dejate de chingaderas de sp 20,quedate con la 208s mejor o como dice fortitudo la chingona ahora es la aw93, ayer se me hizo realidad un sueño, con mi feinwerkbau en torneo interno de mi club gane los 3 balcones y mi sueño fue a 25 mts, tumbe las 10 compadre ya lo habia hecho en practica pero en torneo tu sabes que esta cabron, esta pistola es otro pedo, lastima que nygords acaba de subirla por lo de los euros,y sale puesta en la tienda como a $2,500 dlls falta la firma,pasada etc.

un abrazo y suerte: tito
Evia

Hello Compadre!!!

Post by Evia »

Hey Everybody!!! Tito is my friend here at Mexico. That's the reason because he wrotes me in our mother lenguage. Yeah compa, I'm having a lot of fun with the 208S, but I'm considering a SP20 for the next year. I saw that your FW93 (that I'm sure it's an excellent pistol) raised its price to the sky because of the euro-dollar exchange parity. It's good to hear that you're doing it well with the FW93. I just have purchased an air pistol, a Steyr LP5P. It cost me about 16,000 pesos new (more or less 1500 dollars). So i'm starting shooting standard pistol with air. Some coachs said that it is an excellent training aid (btw, it's cheapper).

Un abrazo como siempre de tu compa,

Manuel
David Levene

Re: Hello Compadre!!!

Post by David Levene »

Evia wrote: I just have purchased an air pistol, a Steyr LP5P. It cost me about 16,000 pesos new (more or less 1500 dollars). So i'm starting shooting standard pistol with air.
Be careful, shooting Standard Pistol with an LP5P is a different technique to shooting it with the correct cartridge gun.

With the LP5P you just bring the gun on aim and keep pulling the trigger. Provided that you have a good trigger release the sights do not move from shot to shot (except through normal arm waving). With a cartridge gun, and I don't care which one it is, you have a degree of recoil. You therefore have to deal with a totally different shot follow through and sight re-alignment.

I would expect a good Standard Pistol (correct .22LR gun) shooter to be able to shoot 10-12 points more in a full 60 shot match using an LP5P. The reverse is not always true because of the more difficult technique with .22LR.
Evia

Of course I agree with you

Post by Evia »

Of course David. Thanks 4 your advice. The main sight alignment disturbment factor in timed and rapid fire is the recoil of the .22 cartridge, and the consequent re-alignment of the sigths. Practicing sometimes with the LP5P don't mean that we are not going to use the 208S.

Again, thanks.

Manuel