grips & fingers

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
scerir

grips & fingers

Post by scerir »

Let us take, i.e., a grip like this:
http://www.pilkguns.com/lp10.htm
As you can see the grip opens wide apart two fingers, the finger which pulls the trigger and the middle finger. Note that these two fingers are controlled by one and the same tendon. Note also that if you aim at the target with your hand only, I mean without holding any pistol, those two fingers are not spread apart. I do not understand why grips have that peculiar shape. Note that the more you spread apart those two fingers,
the more the finger on the trigger, due to the same tendon they have, loses sensitivity and control.
scerir
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

If your index finger and middle finger are controlled by the same tendon you have a very strange hand. That would mean you couldn't move those fingers independently. If you hold up your hand and break your wrist down you will notice the natural spread between these two fingers.
scerir

grips & fingers

Post by scerir »

[Richard H wrote]
<If your index finger and middle finger are controlled by the same tendon you have a very strange hand.>

That is possible :-) But if you read, i.e., the book by Skanaker, I'll realize that and how both fingers are controlled by the same tendon. I mean in the forearm there is just one tendon controlling both fingers, so there is an interference between them. If you pull hard, i.e. on the grip, the middle finger the trigger finger loses sensitivity so much.

<That would mean you couldn't move those fingers independently. If you hold up your hand and break your wrist down you will notice the natural spread between these two fingers.>

If you break down your wrist it means you are holding a free pistol. But even breaking down my wrist I do not notice a *natural* spread between *my* two fingers. Notice that many women (top shooters) do not break down their wrists, while shooting a P10 competition, and they also use a *military* grip, that is to say a vertical grip (i.e. setting those screws in the Steyr or Walther pistols, etc.).
seaton (gripman)

grip

Post by seaton (gripman) »

In my experience, this is done because the grain of the wood is usually vertical at this point and this piece is quite fragile if made thin, not because it is bennefit to the shooter.. That said, in fitting grips, i invariably thin this area as much as feasible ( with a warning to the shooter as to fragility) . Closing this gap between these two fingers relaxes the hand and has always been benificial to the fit and scores (less fatigue). This area *IS* a preassure point for many shooters, as very often they complain to me of actual pain. If you look at the grip from the front, from the factory this area is perpendicular to the vertical plane of the gun. If 2 fingers are forced apart , they diverge at an angle (in a slight V) and therfore the grip tends to put localized preassure on the top of second finger towards the right side of the grip, ie this is poor fit for the sake of cosmetics! If it dosent happen to you, then you are , in my expierience, lucky, and the exception that proves the rule:) Regards , Seaton , (Gripman :)
seaton2@frontiernet.net
Richard H

Steyr Grip

Post by Richard H »

I have fitted the grip some myself and I agree, about the spot you are talking about on the top of the middle finger on the right side (Morini grip on LP10). If you look at the grip front on there are 2 vertical ridges, these runout on to the piece that keeps your idex and middle finger apart. I just removed that and the pressure point was gone.