Air Pistol Cylinder weight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Bob259

Air Pistol Cylinder weight

Post by Bob259 »

Looking for a weight to go on the air cylinder of my LP10. I think I'd like to try one of these Vs the standard ones that come with the LP10.

Any one know where to get one?
CraigE

LP weight

Post by CraigE »

Try our host for one of the 50g weights that slips over the cylinder and set-screws along the barrel shroud. Or perhaps somebody else out there has one that they no longer need. The other option I have read is using a 35mm film cannister as a sleeve with stickon wts on it. Earlier posts detail this process.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Here is the weight system that uses the film cannister.

http://www.pilkguns.com/coach/sws.htm
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

This is from an earlier post regarding my weight system.

1. There is little or no cost involved so experimenting with weight/balance is cost effective.
2. The plastic sleeve weighs 3g or less when trimmed. It grips well but can be moved easily on the cylinder so that experimenting for optimum weight/balance can be tried and tested.
3. The wheel weights are 7g each and are easy to cut and attach in fractions and/or multiples on the sleeve.
4. The weights can be positioned at lowest center gravity under the cylinder. If you cant your pistol they can be placed on the side so as to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.
5. Since fatigue can be a factor during a match, it is easy to change the balance (perceived weight) during a match by easily sliding the weight back fractions of an inch without releasing your grip on the pistol.
6. Some shooters like a heavier pistol and do not necessarily want all of the weight out on the end of the barrel. It just feels and shoots better for them. Perhaps it is physical, perhaps it is mental.

As humans we respond to many external stimuli and variables. We change the sights up, down, and even the width of the rear sight during a match depending on how the shots are grouping, the level of illumination, direction of the light, visual contrast, blood sugar, on how we feel at the time, etc. Grip are adjusted, the size of the irises are adjusted, if your back or shoulder gets tired, feet position may be adjusted, jackets removed or added to adjust body temperature, etc.
Why not the weight/balance adjustment since we are not an immutable part of a given equasion? Function and practical application that is easily adjustable to the many variables involved should be used with the theories.
For example of some limitations on my LP-10.
1. The weights are just over 10 grams each, and if that is your optimum weight, fine, however all the weight is on one side. I am not sure what the engeneering calculation for that is.
2. If the optimum wight is not a multiple of 10g (adding more weights) then you must cut or grind the metal weights, which is not easy to do to.
3. The weights are at barrel hight which is not optimum (tight-rope walkers keep the balancing weights below their feet on a tight-rope).
4. A shooter tends to not make changes since it is not easy to do.
5.The manufacturers components are fairly expensive so shooters are even more reluctant to make changes even if they think they should.
Bob259

Weights - Thanks

Post by Bob259 »

Thanks... That's the article I remembered and was was looking for.