How to shoot Pistol Books

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mikeschroeder

How to shoot Pistol Books

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Pistol isn't my main shooting interest, HOWEVER my air rifle broke, it's winter, and I've improved from shooting in the 190's of 300 to shooting 250's since November 2003 in Bullseye Pistol.

I am an appointed Smallbore Coach so I have that book, is the Pistol Coach book from the NRA worth buying? Is there another book that is as good as "The Way of the Rifle" in the Pistol world? I'm looking a bullseye mainly, but you still shoot the same way I think. At least that applies to Rifle... Prone is Prone, Sitting is sitting etc.

Thanks

Mike
Wichita KS
Don

Pistol book

Post by Don »

Mike: If you will contact me by email at bawilli@attglobal.net, I may be able to help you with your question/problem. Hope so.
Don
JoeG

pistol books...

Post by JoeG »

Mike, my buddy Don should be able to give more than a few good ideas, he has quite a library and is very generous with sharing information. I do find the NRA sold book by the Russian coach Yer-Yuv (correct spelling?) covers quite a bit of ground and is very helpful. There is also a book by Ragnar Skanaker on pistol shooting that is good and has a more simple and basic approach. I am not too sure about current availability of the Skanaker book, a couple of years ago the ISSF was selling it. There is also a book by Leatherdale (?) that looks interesting, haven't gotten into my copy as yet. Let me know if you have any additional questions on any of the above and/or how you make out with your search. Best regards, Joe G.
scott duthie

books

Post by scott duthie »

Mike, the web site www.bullseyepistol.com has the usamu pistol book online, it is also available from the cmp in printed form.
Scott
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

The following site

http://www.targetshooting.ca/

was helpful. I searched on Ragnar's name, and got this site. After getting there, I couldn't find his name though.

I did find out that there is a "natural point of aim" for pistol, and that I was trying to do that correctly. Logic from Rifle coach class. More later

Mike
Wichita KS
thenikjones

Psstol shooting books

Post by thenikjones »

Although now out of print (AFAIK) "Pistol Shooting as a Sport" by Hans Standl and "Competitive Pistol Shooting" by Laslo Antal are books I continue to refer to. I have seen a couple of copies of the Standl book on eBay. Paul Leatherdale has written a book (now in 2nd edition) but I found the 1st edition to be very similar to the Antal book.

The US Army Pistol shooting manual can be downloaded from the internet and is also worth a read.

Nik
CraigE

book availability

Post by CraigE »

Try Neal Stepp at ISS in TX for the Skanakar book....or Amazon
Should be available
Worth the read! Craig ...good shooting!
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Another excellent resource to locate pistol shooting books (or any book for that matter) is www.bookfinder.com
No matter how obscure a book might be, chances are someone somewhere is selling it.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I noted that the Leatherdale book is on Barnes and Noble. They didn't have the Antal, Standl, or Ragnar books.

I did buy the Pistol Coaches Study Guide from the NRA. It's a very good book, and has a separate chapter for Slow fire, Timed Fire, and Rapid fire (these are Bullseye terms). I haven't made it all the way through yet either.

The Smallbore, Pistol, and Shotgun Coaches study guides all contain a lot of the same information (which is helpful) on liability, risk management, the history of shooting etc. One thing I did notice and that all of my younger shooters are BAD at is that all three guide state that the MOST important thing in a shooting stance is Balance. It also states that balance is achieved by keeping your head level.

Thanks for all your help

Mike
Wichita KS