Green/red start/stop lights for duelling

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alex L

Green/red start/stop lights for duelling

Post by Alex L »

Does anyone have a photo they could share with me, that shows the Green and Red lights used as start/stop lights for duelling?
I would like to rig some up on my range, and a photo of how they look would be a great help.

Or are there any sites on the Internet I can look up?

Thanks,
Alex L
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

In all of the units I have seen working at 25 yds (m)---the lights consisted of Red & Green Spotlights mounted to the right and left sides on the top of the target carriers. These can be low voltage (preferred) or line voltage---the lights were electronically joined to the timing system. This is fairly simple and can be duplicated without much expense. The biggest problem is the shot detection (i.e. late/early)-some venue organizers use "shot" judges ( poor idea)---- Olympic Rapid Fire events use a microphone detection systems----great when they work right. There is a tendency for reverberations to set off the late/early shot and both competitors usually get charged with the violation. (one competitor usually gets screwed, blued and tatooed) it happened to me in our New York State Empire Games in 2002. I will go through my Match Directors notes and see if there is some form of a diagram.
David Levene

Re: Green/red start/stop lights for duelling

Post by David Levene »

Alex L wrote:Does anyone have a photo they could share with me, that shows the Green and Red lights used as start/stop lights for duelling?
I would like to rig some up on my range, and a photo of how they look would be a great help.

Or are there any sites on the Internet I can look up?

Thanks,
Alex L
The bank of 5 targets on the front of the Suis Ascor catalogue have the lights fitted.

http://www.sius.com/products/Kat_V1_200_e.pdf
Alex L

green/red lights

Post by Alex L »

Thank you Bob & David, for you assistance.
I appreciate you time in assistaing me with this.
I noted your comments and problems with it, Bob. - something we had not thought about.
Our Service Pistol guys use a hand operated electronic stop watch which operates with a sound system, - registering a late shot. I will find out the manufacturer's name, and I will let you know - if you are interested.

The Swiss Catalogue site was useful, David. Thanks for that.
I am planning just a temporary set up, which will be co-ordinated into the timing device, but with the lights working instead of the targets turning.

You have both given me something to work on, and think about.
Gratefully, Alex L.
Charles Meyer

Red & Green start/stop lights

Post by Charles Meyer »

One option I was looking at a while back for Red & Green start/stop lights for air pistol rapid fire were used highway sign LED clusters off of ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=7287

I picked up a bunch of the larger clusters (no longer available) and they are pretty bright.

Charles
Alex L

Green/Red Lights

Post by Alex L »

What a clever idea, Charles.
Many thanks for that.
I will have a look around for some, here in Australia. We are on 240 volts here, so anything from the USA does not work! Or not without using a transformer, anyway!

Someone else has suggested a spotlight, with with a coloured globe, which can be purchased from lighting stores. 100watts cost about $3.50 here.

Now I have lots of ideas to work with. I will let you know what I eventually wind up with!

Alex L
Bruce Favell

Light system

Post by Bruce Favell »

Hi Alex,
I am in the middle of doing exactly this at the moment.... I have bought a set of 240v 'party lights' from a hardware shop ($47) and extra 40w Red & Green bulbs for them. (Just buying cable and components worked out to be about $150 plus having to put it all together - the party lights are much cheaper). I have tried 12v trailer / brake lights but they were too dim to see.

I am mounting the lights on boards that will hang above / below the targets. The lights will be enclosed in a piece of white 80mm poly pipe (plastic down pipe from the harware store again...) so they will be easier to see when they turn on.

The spacing on the party lights is 80cm and the spacing center to center on the targets is 75cm, so there is a bit of spare wire that I will have to tuck away to keep things neat.

I have setup a 12v relay powered by the timer to switch the 240v to the red or green lights.

I should have 10 bays setup for about $250.

I will email a picture once I have them finished.
Hope this helps,
Bruce Favell.

PS, Shepparton PC have done a similar thing for Bruce Quick as well. They sorted out the 'late shot' issue by putting the 'fixed' set of targets with lights forward of the actual turning targets (by about 50cm) - a late shot can be determined by checking if the shot made a hole on what are effectively turning backing targets.
Alex L

Green/Red lights

Post by Alex L »

Hi, Bruce,
Very many thanks for your help. I look forward to seeing a photo of them when they are finished. I hope you have my email address, so you can send it to me Off List.
At Yarra we have R.I Electronics timers. I was at the Club today and had a look at the connections of the junction box.
I only wanted to make the lights for duelling, as Bruce is not training with our club at the present, and it is only for the Sport pistol ladies. The Olympic team is training here, and I thought that it would help the girls in their preparation.
You have given me some more, specific details, and some good ideas.
Please can you give me more details about the 12 volt relay.
Many thanks,
Alex L.