A sad fact of my AP life, I shoot better scores

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Len_R

A sad fact of my AP life, I shoot better scores

Post by Len_R »

with the target facing away from me. Yes on a pure cream target I am a better shooter. I shot my first 558 in my WHOLE LIFE while shooting on the white, shooting on the black my best is 544.

I don't get as many "deep tens" but man I get a lot near edge 10's.

One other interesting factoid...
I shoot a little higher (group position on the target) when it's a white surface and a little lower when there is a black bullseye.
Mack

Post by Mack »

As they say in the South, "I smell what you been stepping in."
Len_R

Post by Len_R »

Unfortunately it's true and I am offended by the implication that I am lying.

I have the targets if you would like me to mail them to you.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Sorry that is not what that statement means. It means I've been there done that and believe me I have. Sorry for the confusion.
Mack

Post by Mack »

I was shooting at a blank target one time and I had the target out at 50 ft. At 10 m I have a tendency to try to connect the dots. Anyway, after about 40 shots, I had a hole about the size of a quarter. Someone came in as asked me what I was aiming at. When I said nothing, he looked at me like I had 2 heads. Natural point of aim is a wonderful thing. Too bad the bullseye gets in the way. My hold is so steady without the bullseye staring at me.
Rob

Post by Rob »

You might want to get book from Lanny Bassham. He deals with mental management for the shooting sports. I think he has a website if you want to serch his name. Just an idea...Rob
Bob LeDoux

Better Score on Blank Targets

Post by Bob LeDoux »

Your results are fairly common.

There could be a number of reasons:

1. Without the distraction of the bull you may keep your focus on the front sight. Lots of shooters transfer focus onto the target as they fire, losing ability to call the shot.

2. You might be less focused on some center point in your area of aim. Wobble is less evident without the bull to magnify the apparent motion of the barrel.

3. With less apparent motion of the barrel, you may be less likely to rush the trigger pull, with resulting "jerk."
dps1226

aiming area

Post by dps1226 »

it is much easier for me to define the sights when my aiming area is below the black. Focus is strictly the front sight and not where I am on the Bullseye. With a good two stage trigger, the shot will release in much better relationship to the actual Bull. The closer to the black that I release,
the further from perfect I become.
Dan Hankins

Sub six hold

Post by Dan Hankins »

For a long time I have resisted the idea that you forget the bull and sight into the area well below the bull, with 10 m pistol.

I made light of the concept that you are not supposed to pay any attention to the black, the place you wnat the pellet to hit, and that the pistol firing is a suprise. Goes against everything I was taught as a youth, some 50 years ago, by my father and grandfather who were teaching me to shoot. We shot as hunters, and not paper punchers. You learn to put the sights on the place you wnat to hit the critter. We used standard iron sights and hold over and adjustments for windage, but most of the time you stalked or ambushed the critter or pest, and made the range so that you had no hold over.

That being said, Warren Potter finally convinced me to try the sub six hold. Did I mention that I am a little hard headed?

My aiming area now, on two of the four 10m air pistols I use is defined by the bottom of the bull, the bottom of the target face, and the left and right sides of the target face. Yup, there is nothing there to aim at. But by defining the blank area, and then putting the front sight in the middle of that rectangular area, my scores have improved a little. And even on a bad pistol day (kinda like a bad hair day I think), the bad scores are still a little higher.

Takes a while to get used to, and I still have the two pistols set for a sub six where the bull is centered on the front sight with no white showing. Got to have a quick comparison availabe. So far my records confirm the deep sub six to be the most efficient for paper punchin with the 10 m Pistols.

Respectfully,
Dan Hankins

Disclaimer: Warren Potter is not my personal trainer. My low scores on the High noon Competition are not the result of Mr. Potter's advise, but relflect my personal, real or imagined limitations. So do not associate my performance with Mr. Potter's good advise. Some people are just slow learners. You ahould have seen what I was doing before my talkes with Warren.