Main differences between the LP1P and the LP10P?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Len_R

Main differences between the LP1P and the LP10P?

Post by Len_R »

Besides 9 in the number?

Thanks
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

The LP-10 has a few new features, including a ported barrel, recoil absorber, a different loading system where you no longer place the pellet into the barrel, a different system for adding weights that allows smaller sliding weights to mount to the shroud, and a different trigger blade with 6-way adjustment - I think that is about it.

As proven may times, either gun is capable of world record scores. The new LP-2 replaces the LP-1, and offers the same basic features.

Jay V
IL
Mack

Post by Mack »

Well, you still have to stuff the pellet into the barrel on my LP10. The other stuff that Len_R mentioned is correct.
Mark Briggs

LP1 vs LP10 - There's One Big Difference

Post by Mark Briggs »

Hi All,

Since the question has been asked, I'll weigh in here. Please note that Steyr dealers will refute the statements I am about to make.

There is a huge difference between the LP1 and LP10 trigger systems. The individual piece parts used in the pistols are the same - I've taken all the parts from my LP1 and installed them in my LP10 and ended up with a fully-functioning trigger. BUT the machining of the frames is different between the two guns, largely to allow for the increased breach bolt diameter of the LP10. (This increased diameter was needed to house the recoil compensation mechanism.)

The net result of the difference in frame machining is that it produces a trigger with completely different geometry, producing a second stage which cannot be adjusted nearly as light in the LP10 as it can be in the LP1. The draw weight of each stage is regulated by adjusting the amount of pre-compression on a spring. One end of the spring sits in a hole machined in the frame, while the other end is contacted by a button-head on the end of the adjustment screw.

Between the LP1 and LP10 there is something on the order of 0.080" difference in depth of the spring retaining holes machined in the frame. I've cut this same amount of length off my second stage spring and found it improved things a bit, but the LP10 trigger will not adjust down to much less than 100 - 150 grams on the second stage. Some of the shooters I know who travel to World Cups and the like have had their second stage spring heated and compressed by the Steyr factory technician. This produces a better trigger than factory stock, but still nowhere nearly as nice as the LP1 trigger.

On the flip side of this situation is the Morini electronic trigger which provides a wide range of adjustment across 1st and 2nd stages, with no mechanical connection to the sear. It's time we pressed Steyr to produce this kind of trigger in the LP10. The LP10 is truly a fine pistol with a good mechanical trigger. Good, but not great. It's time for Steyr to make the next technological leap in trigger technology.

Mark.

PS: Yes, I bought a Morini 162 and shoot it as my primary pistol now. Yes, it has recoil which is a bummer. No, I don't like its sights as well as those of the Steyr. But the trigger is just sooooo nice....[/b]
Misny

Post by Misny »

I am amazed that the Europeans make such high quality air pistols for such a limited market. I do hope that they improve their designs, but it doesn't seem to be holding back the scores of the great shooters (I just saw where a 592 was posted at the World Games). In all fairness, the world class shooters probably get gunsmiths to tweak their guns to perfection. I wish a company in the USA would come out with a world class gun, but it will never happen.