Hammerli 162 - Price? and reliability?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fabian

Hammerli 162 - Price? and reliability?

Post by Fabian »

I have been offered a Hammerli 162 free pistol, what would be a reasonable price for it? Any opinions as to reliability?
Jim Cruise

hammerli 162

Post by Jim Cruise »

I paid $1500 Australian for one in very good condition 2 years ago, although the grip was heavily modified. It shoots very well. I have put a new K&N shell grip and a Hammerli compensator on it.
Beware of the solenoid (brass tip) that moves up to activate the firing pin release - it should not be corroded or appear worn. Keep this area free from oil and dirt. Often oil from the 'bolt' & firing pin area drops onto the solenoid brass pin and will not allow good triggering.
Initially I was told by Europeans to beware of the electronic trigger and moisture, but I've had no problems in my sub-tropical climate with temperature and humidity of 38C & 85%.
jim

hammerli 162

Post by jim »

Hi Fabian,
I agree with Jim Cruise, although I have a 152, the preceding model. Keep the solenoid pin area clean. Larry Carter recommends a Q-tip with a bit of mineral spirits wiped on and around it. When I got it (used by a team-it had been stored cocked!) it misfired a bit. I changed out the firing pin spring myself and it's perfect! In sub-zero temps the battery may crap out but just unplug it and warm it in your pocket for a few minutes, or try a different battery. I just hold it over a space heater for 5 seconds and I'm good to go for a whole match. No problems in hot humid weather. I get at least a case of ammo's worth of shooting from one battery.
By the way, it's safe to test the electronics by removing the breech block and dry firing. You'll see the little pin pop up a couple millimeters. You can just push it back down and pull the trigger, again and again (wait for the capacitor recharge light to go out each time).
It's a great gun!
Jim
sparky

Post by sparky »

The only one I ever fired fit my hand great, was very accurate, but had fairly frequent failures to fire. This was with a variety of ammo. I could visibly see light strikes on the back of the rounds. I have no idea what caused it, but it helped me decide to go with a Toz instead.
jim

hammerli 162 light strikes

Post by jim »

Hi,
Sparky's experience is similar to mine, and according to Larry Carter, easily remedied. Light strike with a clear firing pin indent but no "bang". Hammerli designed a new firing pin with a flat tip and "chiseled" profile. It requires a matching spring. In my case, Larry insisted I try just installing a new firing pin spring, even though I had the old rounded profile firing pin. That's all it took! An inexpensive spring, easily installed stopped an annoying problem 100%. Prevent this problem by not storing it cocked.
when unloading the last shot, just pull back enough to begin extraction, then pull it out manually. It is important to keep the breech block, and its parts: firing pin 2-pc. sear, clean. I also use a dab of Dupont Krylox lubricant on the curved cut in the breech block where the cocking lever cams the firing pin into the cocked position. It is a thick, non-migrating lube. Don't use anything runny like Break-free as this will get down into the solenoid and gum it up, or worse into the electronics.
People have made too big a deal out of the electronic trigger, at least in the case of Hammerli or Morini. They are perfectly reliable when treated right. In the case of light strikes, the electronics have nothing to do with it. If the 162 feels good, and shoots good (they are pretty phenomenal!), go for it! Blue book value is about $2000, but are available new for about $1300.
Later,
Jim