Scoring spreadsheet

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
petaton

Scoring spreadsheet

Post by petaton »

Hi and best wishes to everyone:

did anybody knows of a program or spreadsheet file that keeps and adjust the scores in a match??
thanks for any advice.

saludos,

Vitor
Gofer

Re: Scoring spreadsheet

Post by Gofer »

petaton wrote:Hi and best wishes to everyone:

did anybody knows of a program or spreadsheet file that keeps and adjust the scores in a match??
thanks for any advice.

saludos,

Vitor
We have developed one that works for us, but isn't very user friendly. If there is a screaming demand for the spreadsheet (I doubt there is) I will make it available, otherwise we will announce the full blown application when it is done: it will do everything, including posting the results on the web. It is similar to what we have developed for autoracing, but much simpler.

Last year, we developed a prototype of a personal scoring program that runs on all the modern cell phones. Unfortunately, the rulebooks state that no sound emitting devices are permitted on the line, so that makes the phone idea good for nothing but practice. It turned out pretty neat, though: the "1" to "0" buttons = a 1-10 ring score. The "*" key represents a 'X' ring. It made scoring at Camp Perry a breeze until the phone rang during a match <gasp><slap on the hand>.

If anyone is interested in the full-blown scoring program, request more information on this site:

Season Professional
Spencer C

spreadsheet

Post by Spencer C »

are you after a spreadsheet for the overall competition or for an individual shooter?

Spencer
funtoz

Re: Scoring spreadsheet

Post by funtoz »

I doubt that there is a 'screaming' demand for such a program, but there is a need. John Dreyer released one for the bullseye shooters that is nice. It is composed of VB macros in Excel. They are password protected so it is not easy to modify to fit the various international games.

Clubs are the primary market for match programs, and we never have much money to put into computers and software, even for the high volume shotgun games. It is hard enough keeping the safety and targeting hardware in good condition. What is really needed is software that is not tied to Bill's endless upgrade mania, something that will run on 32-bit windows, apples, and linux, from ancient P-1's on up. That means something like Java for a stand-alone or OpenOffice for a macro based one. I started work on one using Perl and TK as the front end to a MySQL database, but I really don't have enough time to add another project to my life. It would be great if someone who loves shooting and isn't already running matches and serving in club management would put the time into improving our technology.

If you expect to make money off of shooting competition software, I think you are going to be disappointed. The money isn't there. But If you just want to advance match operations for a sport you love, then an open source, multi-platform effort would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Lohkamp
Range Committee, Wildlife Committee of Washington
International Pistol, Washington State Rifle & Pistol

We have developed one that works for us, but isn't very user friendly. If there is a screaming demand for the spreadsheet (I doubt there is) I will make it available, otherwise we will announce the full blown application when it is done: it will do everything, including posting the results on the web. It is similar to what we have developed for autoracing, but much simpler.

Last year, we developed a prototype of a personal scoring program that runs on all the modern cell phones. Unfortunately, the rulebooks state that no sound emitting devices are permitted on the line, so that makes the phone idea good for nothing but practice. It turned out pretty neat, though: the "1" to "0" buttons = a 1-10 ring score. The "*" key represents a 'X' ring. It made scoring at Camp Perry a breeze until the phone rang during a match <gasp><slap on the hand>.

If anyone is interested in the full-blown scoring program, request more information on this site:

Season Professional[/quote]
nneely

Score Tracking Tool

Post by nneely »

I'll add a plug for individual need for such a tool, especially one that is flexible enough to be used for many different shooting events. I agree that an open source multi-platform tool would be best and if someone needs a software tester, please consider sending me an email.

- Nick