Moving from rifle to pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
john-10mtr-uk

Moving from rifle to pistol

Post by john-10mtr-uk »

Hi All and Hello from across the pond

Ok a few weeks ago I was told that I have to give up Match Air Rifle, so have switched to pistol (I ain't giving up that easily)

I currently have a Hammerli AP 40 Pistol and I am training as follows to get me upto speed

1) 20 mins dry fire per day

2) 30 mins focus and concentration training

3) 9 Hours a week Live Practice

do you consider this to be too much, or not enough?? But please bear in mind that my home range has limited opening times and that the UK has restrictive lasw on where I actually shoot, so practising in the back garden is a definite no-no??

Any comments would be appreciated.
DonMatzeder

Post by DonMatzeder »

The answer has to depend on your physical condition and the level of competition you are striveing for. If it doesn't "hurt" it isn't too much. World classers probably shoot more. When starting out, dry fire may be as helpful or more so than live fire. Enjoy what you are doing. If you like it, you will practice more.
john-10mtr-uk

Post by john-10mtr-uk »

Well the level I am striving to get at is at least National standard, I am considering increasing my training after another month or so, to put pressure on myself to "get there" as it were.

The dry firing and focus training are pretty good and seem to be working ok, but as a philosopher once said of the french revolution, it's too early to tell yet.

Will keep you posted
Roly

Post by Roly »

Hi John: Just what is your regimen for 'focus and concentration' training? Man, I sure could use some of that! Is it done separately from actually shooting or is it more like shooting at a blank (white) target?

As for " but as a philosopher once said of the French Revolution, it's too early to tell yet. " -I think we can tell now, the Monarchy was better.
R.
Paedagogus

Training Aids

Post by Paedagogus »

You might be interested in this:

http://www.shootingsportsetc.com

You will need to register (free), but there is a concentration aid and a streaming audio strength drill. The strength drill is from Viktor Svatenko (USA Pentathlon head coach) for elite athletes, but can be used at all levels just by working up to the longer holds (ie, skip the four minute hold, etc).
Roly

Post by Roly »

Hi Paedogogus: A teacher, eh? Hope you make better than slave wages!

I just took a look at the link and there's a lot there. Will give it a try, thanks.

Roly
Paedagogus

Training Aids

Post by Paedagogus »

Roly wrote:Hi Paedogogus: A teacher, eh? Hope you make better than slave wages!
I would have to get a raise in order to make slave wages!
Roly wrote:I just took a look at the link and there's a lot there. Will give it a try, thanks.

Roly
There a lot more content in the works, particularly for coaching/training. Feedback, opinions, complaints, suggestions, etc. are always welcome.
john-10mtr-uk

Thanks

Post by john-10mtr-uk »

Thanks for that, will try to get a look when I can

BTW if you goto www.targetshooting.ca

they have a MP3 for training, in 10 mtr match absolutely perfect for training with.

As for my focus and concentration training, I wear ear defenders, and then sit quite until my breathing regulates itself and then I focus on deep breathing and then watching my exhale and while holding my in in front of me.

1) wear ear defenders
2) Regulate breathing
3) Stand up - Arm in normal position, then hold, breathe in
4) Exhale whilst maintaining arm position

Its useful to have a 10 metre target stuck on the wall so you can get your arm straight in relation to the target.

You may have a different sight line to me, because I am @ 6 O'clock, some of you may aim @ sub 6 or middle of the target

Thanks for all the help

If there's anything in the UK you want more info or help about, let me know I will see what I can do
[/url]
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

I did the rifle to pistol move in the late 80’s although I had previously shot air pistol as a junior. Quite a culture shock and the hardest part for me was acceptance of my own aiming area compared to locked concentric circles.

The other posts do not mention electronic trainers. For me, these are a great asset even though I have re-organised my work commitments to facilitate several quality live training sessions a week. My preference was and is SCATT but I know others have their own preferences. Just training solo also has its limits so regular competition with people of similar standard is essential.

In the UK we have a few useful resources for pistol. Firstly, the British Pistol Club www.britishpistolclub.org, the web site contains entry standards and the schedule for BPC monthly meetings and other domestic/international competitions. The monthly competitions are a useful way into finding other ISSF pistol events that you may also like to shoot, for example, we also shoot free pistol as these are back on the UK schedule. I am not sure where you like in the UK but some regions have excellent regional squads. The circuit of national competitions is a must, especially if you want to enter the squad. http://www.gbr-issf.org.uk/ has scores/minimum standards.

If you check through the archives of TarketTalk and our hosts web site, several coaching tips and resources from third parties are posted and linked. Our http://www.gbtsf-worldclass.co.uk/ site has several items on core stability some of us have found handy as well. Good luck.
john-10mtr-uk

Post by john-10mtr-uk »

Thanks for the great replies, they are areally helpful

Ok a friend did mention electronic trainers but I cant stretch to that type of budget (unfortunately) anyway apart form that my scores from last night's shooting was

1st 5 cards (5 shots on each) 43,36,40,45,43
2nd 5 cards (5 shots on each) 39,41,33,35,39
3rd 5 card (5 shots on each) (Mainly trigger control) 36,37,32,,39,39

I am quite happy with this, and at least I seem to be getting in the black.
so i am quite happy not worked out the averages yet, but will keep you all posted as to progress.

Thanks again

J Alex Guy