britarms 2000 mk2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tjtucker

britarms 2000 mk2

Post by tjtucker »

I don't know if this the right place to post this but here goes.
I just returned from the gun show and I purchased an almost new Britarms 2000 model mk2. It looks almost like the FWB 93.
I remember reading about this gun in the early 80s. What do you members think? Any info would be helpful. I did a search but did not find any info. I paid 500.00 for the gun 2 mags original import papers.

Thanks
TJ
Dennis

britarms 2000 mk2

Post by Dennis »

I owned 2 of them 10 years or so ago. They were imported by Interarms, if I remember right. They shot well and had a nice trigger with lots of adjustments. They were ammo selective. I always like the way they disassembled, much like a Walther GSP. You could take the action out and hold it in you hand to adjust them but, be careful they can go "full auto" real easy.... I had talked to the maker in England several times on the phone and even stocked parts for them in my shop for awhile. As I remember it he did shoot for England but, his main business was making antique motorcycle parts (Triumph or Aero 4's ???) He was very friendly and helpful. I didn't shoot international at the time but, used them for bullseye. Finally sold them when the need for red dots became more of a necessary. Of the 3 that I sold, only one ever had any problems but, that one turned out to be the sample that Interarms had to evaluate them. I believe they really abused it. Enjoy....

Post by Guest »

Dennis

Thanks for the info. I went to the book store tonight to find the old Guns & Ammo Mag with the story on the gun but it was gone. It was there about a month ago. Go figure. What type of ammo did the gun like. The gun I have doen't have any import marks. It was a demo sent by Britarms in 1980 with a value of 150 english pounds per the import papers.

TJ
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:Dennis

Thanks for the info. I went to the book store tonight to find the old Guns & Ammo Mag with the story on the gun but it was gone. It was there about a month ago. Go figure. What type of ammo did the gun like. The gun I have doen't have any import marks. It was a demo sent by Britarms in 1980 with a value of 150 english pounds per the import papers.

TJ
If it is that old then it was one of the first ones made when Tom Redhead (now the UK National smallbore pistol coach) was probably involved in the company.

Unfortunately the early ones could not be described as being particularly reliable.

The later ones (mid 1980s on) were made by Alan Westlake (an ex-GB International) and his daughter after he bought and modified the original design. These were much better. I think it is Alan that Dennis is referring too.

If you want more information then Alan's partially completed web site is http://www.westlakeengineering.com

Post by Guest »

David

Thanks for the info. The previousy owner had a letter written from Tom Redhead to his late father Dr. Ralph Glaze from Canoga Park CA.
I will have to go out and try it.

David
Dennis

Britarms 2000

Post by Dennis »

Yes, that's the name that I couldn't remember without going back thru some very old notes. The time frame early '90's. He was a very interesting and friendly person to talk too.
Sorry I don't remember which ammo it liked the best. It was something from Eley. But, I do remember that I shot "Club" most of the time, more of a price/performance thing.
sbow

Post by sbow »

Was this the gun sold from the Jackson Armory table at the Dallas show Saturday? If so, I suspect you got an excellent price. The price the former owner told me he took was some $400 U.S. under what the Blue Book claims for it. (Not that the Blue Book is an infallible guide.)

Post by Guest »

SBow

That's the one. Did you see the gun? What's your opinion.

TJ
Jim Harrison

Post by Jim Harrison »

As Davis Levene says, the early Britarms needed a lot of tuning to keep them working. Alan Westlake sorted out the engineering so the reliability problems disappeared. If you want to shoot it rather than just display it, it would be worth getting in touch with him.

The Britarms were usually set up to work best with Eley Pistol Match ammo (dark blue box).

In fact Alan used to work on classic Jaguar sports and racing cars, and replicas thereof.

Post by Guest »

Hey here's the update. I just went to the range. The gun has a great trigger I wish my full custom Falcon Smith 41 had this trigger. The Britarms went off with out a hitch, 250 rounds and not one problem. I used Eley trainer and CCI std Vel. The gun is pretty heavy but the trigger is very nice it is better than my Pardini and almost as good as my 208. In fact, it groups better than my 208. In all, I'm very happy with the gun. If you can find one go for it.

TJ.
sbow

Post by sbow »

Anonymous wrote:SBow

That's the one. Did you see the gun? What's your opinion.

TJ
At casual inspection, it looked nearly unused to me, but while I knew what it was, I had never seen one before in person, and I didn't know enough about it to know what to inspect. Also, I was wary of the parts supply, finding a grip-maker (the grips were comfortable to me but provided little support for my hand), etc. All the same, I am glad the owner didn't tell me until I stopped by again after you bought it exactly how low he would drop his price, or I might have bought it on a lark.

Where do you shoot? I see few standard pistols around DFW, but perhaps I frequent the wrong ranges.

Post by Guest »

Sbow

I shoot at the Garland gun range. I also like to shoot the .22 900 Bullseye matches at Dallas Pistol club in Farmersbranch off of 1-35. The standard pistols make a great bullseye gun. The Bullseye matches are held on Sundays and last a about 3 hours. Most of the shooters are very good and they are happy to see new faces.

As far as the gun I told the guy hey I'm the only person here today that knows what that gun is and do you really want to sell it.

We need to hook up and I will let you shoot it.

TJ
sbow

Post by sbow »

Anonymous wrote:I also like to shoot the .22 900 Bullseye matches at Dallas Pistol club in Farmersbranch off of 1-35. The standard pistols make a great bullseye gun. The Bullseye matches are held on Sundays and last a about 3 hours. Most of the shooters are very good and they are happy to see new faces.
I am not so good but am working to improve, and I keep hearing that Dallas Pistol Club is the place to shoot locally, both for Bullseye and for UIT/ISU/ISSF. When I recently met a Glock rep. who shoots rapidfire on the side, I gathered he mostly shoots at DPC.
We need to hook up and I will let you shoot it.
Now that's a very generous offer, and I would love to take you up on it. If you register, you can send me a private message via the board. Otherwise you can e-mail me at my hotmail account, the uesername of which is sbow_list (related in this format to elude spambots).
tjtucker

Post by tjtucker »

Sbow

I just registered so you should be able to get me email.
As far as the purchase I was suprised regarding the price.
Most people do not reduce their price by $350.00. I like you consider the gun a crap shoot but for 500.00 it was worth the risk.
email me and we can set up a time to meet at the range.

TJ