Width of cover for non-shooting eye...New rule

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mack

Width of cover for non-shooting eye...New rule

Post by Mack »

What are y'all doing about the new rule limiting the cover of the non-shooting eye to 30mm? I have a set of Vargas glasses and I'm not real thrilled to start trimming the eye cover.
David Levene

Re: Width of cover for non-shooting eye...New rule

Post by David Levene »

Mack wrote:What are y'all doing about the new rule limiting the cover of the non-shooting eye to 30mm? I have a set of Vargas glasses and I'm not real thrilled to start trimming the eye cover.
If you don't then you will be in breach of the ISSF rules. I'm afraid it is that simple. Whether individual match organisers (at lower than World Cup level) publish a dispensation in their match program is another matter. If they were to do that however, where would it stop. Which other rules would they then ignore.
Mack

Post by Mack »

I was afraid of that. I wonder if the makers of the different brands of shooting glasses will come up with a new cover that fits the ISSF standard. Guess I'll start cutting.

Thanks David
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Mack wrote:I was afraid of that. I wonder if the makers of the different brands of shooting glasses will come up with a new cover that fits the ISSF standard. Guess I'll start cutting.

Thanks David
You are lucky. Several of our top shooters here in the UK cut their blinders down to 20mm (it is now 30mm) wide in 2002 when the ISSF published their "interpretation" and "request" before the World Championships. As it turned out, they were totally ignored so our shooters had cut in vain. I suppose it was good practice for cutting blinders down to the latest requirements ;^)
Bill Poole

Home made eye covers

Post by Bill Poole »

I couldn't bring myself to start slicing up the $9 blinders that Knoblochs made.... and I wanted to experiment with different shapes and sizes and stay within what i think the rules are.

So I cut off some nails that were the same diamter as the knobloch blinder's mounting rod. (I would have preferred copper wire but didn't have any that thick.

I used a hot glue gun to glue it to the blinder element, for which I used milk jug plastic for translucent and some soft black plastic from an old computer disk or powder jug.

good shooting...

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
Mack

Home made cover

Post by Mack »

Good idea Bill. I'll give that a try. I've got a PTO tomorrow morning at the OTC, so I'll try to get this done by the time the next PTO arrives.
deleted1

ISSF Blinders

Post by deleted1 »

Right now I am waiting for my right eye to heal from cataract surgery, so I am not doing any shooting until after the left eye is done and I am totally healed, however I have not found a single Match Director for any PTO's doing doodly squat about the blinders rule---I think it's a total amount of hooey until we see what they do in the Olympics. When I see what our national teams are doing in these regards and the ISSF quits "legislating by leaks" and grows a "set" putting it's fot down---I do nothing. This has been racing around the sport for a couple of years now and all the Junior shooters are getting hysterical about this---relax and wait---the ISSF is like the wind ----constantly changing direction.
R.M.

Blinders

Post by R.M. »

I bought new left eye blinder from Knobloch and discarded my side blinders back when they were
talking about the 20mm rule
I have to admit, I don't miss the side blinders at all, and the 20mm front blinder is not a problem. It's
function is to stop my dominant left eye from interfering with my sighting process, and that it is doing. I
have found the it's now easier to look through my spotting scope. I don't have to flip the blinder up
anymore. There's enough of the left lens open that I can see most anything else that I want.

YMMV
R.M.
Len_R

Re: ISSF Blinders

Post by Len_R »

Rules been published, match directors don't follow it, it puts the scores in jepoardy. Not keeping up on the rules is the fault of the match director. Evidently they could figure it out at the Canadian Grand Prix...it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Bob Riegl wrote:Right now I am waiting for my right eye to heal from cataract surgery, so I am not doing any shooting until after the left eye is done and I am totally healed, however I have not found a single Match Director for any PTO's doing doodly squat about the blinders rule---I think it's a total amount of hooey until we see what they do in the Olympics. When I see what our national teams are doing in these regards and the ISSF quits "legislating by leaks" and grows a "set" putting it's fot down---I do nothing. This has been racing around the sport for a couple of years now and all the Junior shooters are getting hysterical about this---relax and wait---the ISSF is like the wind ----constantly changing direction.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I assume that this will include my measuring scotch tape too???

Mike
Wichita KS
Chris

blinder

Post by Chris »

When the rule change was being looked at I started shooting with a 20mm blinder and shot a PR in the first free pistol match I shot in. 20mm provides ample blockage of the sights and target. On the plus side both eyes now will receive closer to the same light levels. This is a good thing for eye fatigue.

When I shot rifle I used a blinder that was about 10-15 mm wide so I could watch wind flags with out moving my head. This could apply to free pistol. You could just move your eyes to see flags.