First Pistol Question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
akihmsa

Re: Thanks, everybody

Post by akihmsa »

My experience is that the IZH-46M gets me about 2% better scores than the Daisy 747. I am a duffer that shoots 89% on average with the Daisy. I think if I would put in the time the Daisy would get me to the 94% level with the IZH doing a bit better. With either gun I know the shots that are not in the 10 ring are due to the operator needing more work.

On a personal note I like the grip and balance of the Tau-7 better than that of the IZH but it a preference.
JimR wrote:Just for the record, I went with the IZH-46M, about 8 weeks ago, and have been thrilled with it! Simple, accurate, and a lot of fun.

Post by Guest »

Now Sid, sure it isn't "modern", ........but it truly is a wonder pistol from a technological point of view. By that i mean there's a WHOLE lot more going on mechanically upon firing in the Model 65 (and it's sister pistols Model 80 and 90). Between the basic power plant and the means of "ride the rails" recoil reduction..........it's not even close IMO.

The PCP and CO2 guns are much simpler in construction, and since they are easier for shooters to follow thru on and take less effort to load........that's where the top shooters gravitate to. The lowly Model 65 can take you to the very brink of your ability.......and if you can learn to follow thru with this pistol it will carry over into firearms shooting much better than the PCP or CO2 guns will. Even without the accessory locking bracket attached to simulate much more recoil in these pistols, the need for correct follow thru is essential to get the best from this gun. You will get some of the best training for firearms shooting as a free bonus.

Also, in starting out,...... it sure is nice not to have to worry about compressed air and CO2 tanks, hose attachments, pumps, and the ability to be able to shoot as a stand alone package. I've personally always been a little leary about the high pressure tanks on a pistol. Proven overall very safe, but i worry about it anyway if it got dropped with a full charge, or handle'd carelessly. Just my pet peave and why i'd choose CO2 over PCP were i ever to get a more "modern" match gun, although the CO2's come with their own ideosyncrices.

If i needed the pistol to take in the woods and live on in an emergency......the Model 65 would be it. Not a powerhouse compared to some rifles.......but it is right up there with the best of the pistols velocity wise. This is especially so with the MarkI and MarkII models. Not that this is your reason for inquiring, of course. I've taken a few close in squirrels with head shots using it, and enjoyed the "stew" that much more! While not a preferred "hunting" air arm........i experimented with it more as a survival pistol and it can feed you in an emergency. CO2 is not good in the cold, and you're SOL without a pump or tank and attachments with a PCP........and surely not likely to have them around in an emergency. But take along a FWB 65 in a holster on your hip or in your day pack, and your ready with only a tin of pellets......always!

If you're looking for a nice entry level pistol, you could do a whole lot worse in your choice and have the added benefit of a very reasonable price. I've paid as little as $250 for one example with a barral shroud weight and the much nicer hand checkered sport grips with a pronounced palm swell not found on later ones. Most of mine, however.....have been in the $450-$550 range, with one i reached for at $650 because it was a mint MarkII short barreled version with barrel weight AND the most exquisite full burl walnut adjustable match grips. These grips make my mouth water!

Even if you end up going for the high priced top of the line match PCP pistol,.......consider "springing" for a used Feinwerkbau Model 65 as a fun gun for the other reasons i touched on. One thing i DO know for sure......if you buy it right, within the price ranges i mentioned.....you'll always have the ability to resell it and get all your money back given a reasonable time to find a buyer in the proper venue. (airgun classifieds).....

......though i doubt you'll want to sell it once you've used one! Me.....those that have read my posts over the years know i'm hooked! I always seem to have 6 or 7 around the house in various configurations! I move a few once in awhile also, so i know you won't get stuck holding a dinosaur nobody else wants......

.......and i'd be willing to bet more than a few on these boards are packing a Model 65 in their "fun" arsonal!

Sid Post wrote:An FWB 65 or 80 might be an option. After shooting a FWB 65, I was hooked. Sure it isn't a modern wonder pistol but, the price was right and it serves me well. I must admit though, I have started eyeing the newer PCP pistols though.

Sid
joejeweler

Oops, the last post was me!

Post by joejeweler »

Oops, ......the last post regarding the FWB Model 65 was me! I thought i was logged in.