NRA Junior Air Pistol Programs

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
john v

NRA Junior Air Pistol Programs

Post by john v »

The NRA has been working on developing junior air pistol programs. The NRA Pistol Committee approved a 40 shot course of fire for juniors and allowed for mixed (boy & girl). The top 3 junior teams in the NRA Indoor Open International Air Pistol Sectionals will be invited to attend the NRA's National Junior Air Gun Team Championship & Training Summit this summer in Pocatello, ID. In 2003, the championship had 35 junior air pistol shooters. The NRA currently has two purchase programs for air pistols and are working with several more companies to offer several models of air pistols. If you have questions on junior air pistol programs, please contact the NRA.
akihmsa

age ranges?

Post by akihmsa »

Does this program have a j1, j2, and j3 age ranges as the USA Shooting program? This sounds like a great idea and hopefully Alaska will attempt to sponser a team to try out. We are in the beginning stages of youth air pistol and this should be an excellent idea here in the Last Frontier.
Paedagogus

Why?

Post by Paedagogus »

NRA and USA Shooting (and CMP, and NSSF, and 4H, and Boy Scouts, and NSCA, and NSSA, and ATA, and IDPA, and USPSA, and xyz, and pdq, and ou812, and...) should be working more closely together to get juniors involved. Heck, juniors or not, they should be working together. They could start by having the SAME competitions -- like the SAME national championship event. And of course, how can I forget... the SAME rulebook for the same event! <gasp>

My daughter is frustrated that there aren't more kids her age shooting. Just look at the numbers: there aren't enough of them to split up the party.

I'm not mad at the NRA. I'm not mad at USA Shooting. I'm not mad at CMP or any one else. I'm mad at the situation. Collectively, I blame them all for the state of our sport.

One sport. One rulebook. One championship. One goal: the future of all shooting sports.

What would the media do if 100,000 shooters showed up in the same place to compete each year? What about the manufacturers? I'm talking Camp Perry on steroids!
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

I agree with last post 100%. NRA and others would have to adopt international rules and than can hold any other events like bullseye. Seams like nothing wrong with that.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

LesJ wrote:I agree with last post 100%. NRA and others would have to adopt international rules and than can hold any other events like bullseye. Seams like nothing wrong with that.
Hi

I could handle two sets of rules, NRA and International, but the 4 or more I have to deal with is a little much. CMP isn't NRA, and isn't International. I have held but not read the USAS / ISSF rules. They're a tough read I hear. 4-H uses different rules, and changes them regularly (like underware).

At least with Pistol, you don't have the exciting pants arguement.

Mike
Wichita KS
john v

Re: age ranges?

Post by john v »

akihmsa wrote:Does this program have a j1, j2, and j3 age ranges as the USA Shooting program? This sounds like a great idea and hopefully Alaska will attempt to sponser a team to try out. We are in the beginning stages of youth air pistol and this should be an excellent idea here in the Last Frontier.
The age breakdown within the NRA's many shooting program is Sub-juniors - 14 and under, Intermediate-junior - 15-17, and Junior upto 20 years old. I would be happy to send you (thru the mail) material that would help you organization (club programs, grants, etc) Thanks John
Len_R

Post by Len_R »

When will there be NRA run postals for Air Pistol? Seems that to date there hasn't been a lot of interest if you ask the postal coordinator for the NRA.

I think one of the major stubling blocks is the NRA should offer junior postals run by the NRA to get the ball rolling because there sure isn't a lot of effort being put into it elsewhere.
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

Hi John

We are getting ready to start up using just the basics, 10 meters distance, B-40 paper targets and 4 Daisy 747's set up with ambidextrious grips. Any of the youngsters that want to move up the equipment ladder we will try to help out if their folks can't. WE will be using the NRA AP Qualification course to start out with and we will know we have a serious student when they make it to Sharpshooter or better. Our club has decided to go the slow steady route towards growth and see what shakes out. Will keep you posted. The good thing is that we finally have an indoor place to shoot that has heat and lights which are fairly important in Alaska in the winter ;~)
john v wrote:
akihmsa wrote:Does this program have a j1, j2, and j3 age ranges as the USA Shooting program? This sounds like a great idea and hopefully Alaska will attempt to sponser a team to try out. We are in the beginning stages of youth air pistol and this should be an excellent idea here in the Last Frontier.
The age breakdown within the NRA's many shooting program is Sub-juniors - 14 and under, Intermediate-junior - 15-17, and Junior upto 20 years old. I would be happy to send you (thru the mail) material that would help you organization (club programs, grants, etc) Thanks John