‘Short term” trigger memory

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

‘Short term” trigger memory

Post by seamaster »

I have a trigger finger spring squeezer device.
Had been using for a while, just still has chicken finger on many occasions.

Got really pissed with this exercise.

I know it helps, but on many days it does not seem to work. Chicken finger is still chicken finger.

This week, told myself I have no time for this squeezing training.

I am going to do it when it really counts. So use it right on the shooting bench.

Slow heavy squeeze x5, then load and shoot, with each shot.

Surprisingly, no chicken fingers .

Thought N might be equal to just that day.

But shooting a few days now with this short term trigger exercise right before real shooting process.

This “on the job” training does work !

Will stop doing the squeezing on the daily basis now, that excessive finger pulling is killing my arthritic fingers.
Will do it on the job, when it really counts from now on.
Gwhite

Re: ‘Short term” trigger memory

Post by Gwhite »

I am curious about your "trigger finger spring squeezer device". Do you have a link or picture?

I have a Morini air pistol with the electronic trigger,, and I occasionally will do some quick trigger squeezing with that when chicken finger sets in. I've also found that if I can get one proper squeeze off, that I can repeat that for a while, which supports your theory. Then my finger starts clucking again...
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

My training mentor took over a year to convince me that the way forward was to just pull the trigger sooner and with confidence and commitment, the scatt traces proved this but could I just do what he advised? Finally I relented and did exactly what he told me to do and bought an LP50 and started to compete in rapid fire competitions. Here this is all we can use for rapid fire, my groups are good, I'm accurate, it is fun and my chicken finger at 10m precision seems to have flown off and my averages have climbed. Yup dry firing during a comp does help and makes it seem to flow better.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

what is "chicken finger" ?
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Here, "chicken" means "afraid", and it's what happens when your brain decides to take the shot but suddenly the trigger feels like it weighs 10kg because your finger refuses to move. A moment we all love and cherish so much.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Basically, it's a mental/confidence issue, but over time, it can move into "muscle memory", and then it is really hard to fix.

Your finger uses "flexor" muscles (and tendons) to pull the trigger. In order to straighten out your finger, you also have "extensor" muscles & tendons. If you are hesitant to take a shot, instead of just pausing the flexor muscles, the brain can start activating the extensor muscles, which oppose the flexor muscles. The result can be a dramatic increase in the perceived force required to fire the shot. In extreme cases, the extensors can "win", and actually move the finger forward OFF the trigger.

I think the problem is aggravated by the typical US 2-stage "breaking" trigger pull. The first stage moves to the rear under some pressure (for example, 350 grams on an air pistol), and then the trigger stops moving until the pressure is increased above 500 grams. At that point, the trigger releases, and moves to the rear. I think it is easier to hesitate at that stopping point than it is with a "rolling" trigger that keeps moving until the pistol fires.

Some of my pistols' triggers can be set up either way. As much as I believe the rolling trigger to be superior, after 50 years of shooting with a "breaking" trigger, I've never been able to get used to it. I also have some pistols that do not have the option of a rolling trigger release.

Now that I am older & wobblier than I once was, I find myself hesitating far too much because I'm waiting for the wobble to settle down like it used to (which it never does). Over time, my "chicken finger" has only gotten worse, and It's going to take a lot of work to sort out.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Thanks! I have the older ProHands Gripmaster that is similar. They used to have an accessory kit that isolated the trigger button, and even provided clip on sights.

I was thinking it might be something like this gadget: http://www.thetriggertrainer.net/

Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

Gwhite wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:44 pm Basically, it's a mental/confidence issue, but over time, it can move into "muscle memory", and then it is really hard to fix.

Your finger uses "flexor" muscles (and tendons) to pull the trigger. In order to straighten out your finger, you also have "extensor" muscles & tendons. If you are hesitant to take a shot, instead of just pausing the flexor muscles, the brain can start activating the extensor muscles, which oppose the flexor muscles. The result can be a dramatic increase in the perceived force required to fire the shot. In extreme cases, the extensors can "win", and actually move the finger forward OFF the trigger.

I think the problem is aggravated by the typical US 2-stage "breaking" trigger pull. The first stage moves to the rear under some pressure (for example, 350 grams on an air pistol), and then the trigger stops moving until the pressure is increased above 500 grams. At that point, the trigger releases, and moves to the rear. I think it is easier to hesitate at that stopping point than it is with a "rolling" trigger that keeps moving until the pistol fires.

Some of my pistols' triggers can be set up either way. As much as I believe the rolling trigger to be superior, after 50 years of shooting with a "breaking" trigger, I've never been able to get used to it. I also have some pistols that do not have the option of a rolling trigger release.

Now that I am older & wobblier than I once was, I find myself hesitating far too much because I'm waiting for the wobble to settle down like it used to (which it never does). Over time, my "chicken finger" has only gotten worse, and It's going to take a lot of work to sort out.
the remedy for this, from what i read about training, is lots of dryfire against a white background. where you concentrate on sight alignment and trigger release. is there a need for another device?
could be wrong. i have very little actual experience. just what i read on the net..
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I'm sure they both help, and a mix might be better still. One advantage of the spring things is that they just train the finger to squeeze. No click, no sights, no score.

If you are working on shooting a typical standard pistol, there's a lot of cocking involved that interrupts the training process. At least the Morini electronic air & free pistol triggers allow you to click away repeatedly.