Mantisx Training Aid

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
johnkearney

Mantisx Training Aid

Post by johnkearney »

Has anyone used one of these training devices on an ISSF pistol (Air, .22 or .32)? are they effective? It appears as though they provide similar info as the "scatt" but only in the area of trigger control and its influence on shot release. I am a club coach and was hoping to use it as a training aid. Any thoughts would be welcome.
https://mantisx.com
Thanks John
Rutty

Re: Mantisx Training Aid

Post by Rutty »

I saw this device for the first time last week but didn't have much of an opportunity to examine it. From what I saw; was explained to me: it is limited in its capability and will only enable you to analyse the triggering (release) phase. That's a lot less than you can access with SCATT, Noptel or even Rika but Mantisx is a lot cheaper. Whilst it does what it says on the tin, how much value is the shooter going to get from using it? Triggering is important, even vital, but if you intend to invest time in dry training it might be better to have more output and feedback than Mantisx offers.

Food for thought: I just sold a fully working Rika system for less than the cost of Mantisx

Rutty
Leadbelly

Post by Leadbelly »

Our club just got in 10 of the MantisX . 2 other friends got one and put one on a walther Free pistol
another on a Walther LP400 air pistol. I just Put mine on Tuesday night on a Morini CM 162EI Electronic Trigger Air Pistol . The screw for the rail has to be removed and use rubber bands ( tightly ) to hold the Mantis on the cylinder. I picked the high sensitive setting for dry fire. I was afraid the electric trigger would not work. IT WORKS GREAT. We also put it on FWB AIR RIFLE and it was fine on it also. I connect mine to an IPAD, my Iphone is old and small screen. The company is upgrading the software all the time ( Which is free and works great )
We all paid $130 each, but I think the coach got a discount with the multiple buy.
I think the device is really good and when you practice dry fire at home, even better. I plan on using it on many of my other guns when the weather gets better. My Glocks G19X, G35, G23, G17, G43 and my Ruger Mk IV 22 pistol and Many Ruger 19-22 rifles. I will post more after shooting those.
johnkearney

Post by johnkearney »

Thanks Leadbelly,
I am very keen to hold of one, I have used a Scatt and it is great but it also costs over $2K in Australia which I can't justify. I would love to hear if you think it is helping your shooting.

I am from Melbourne Australia and I am coming over to DFW in June to visit friends, are there many ISSF pistol clubs in Texas and do you know of a website of any clubs in the DFW area? I would love to look them up on my trip. Thanks again John
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Does anyone have an updated report on whether these are worth the $150? I'm not going to spend the money for something like the SCATT, but this seems like it might be worth the smaller cash outlay.

I also like the idea of being able to put it on any of my firearms to train with as well.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

The only downside I see to this is that mine needs to be set to "high sensitivity" to pick up dry fire on my LP10, and then it also detects cocking the gun as a shot, so your stats get messed up. On individual shots it works quite well and gives useful feedback. For ISSF clubs in the Dallas area, check out teamshootingstars.org
cuslog

Post by cuslog »

I'm using one on a Walther GSP. I bought the "rubber band" for attaching to a pistol with no picatinny rail. I'm rather impressed with it. I would call it a quite sensitive "accelerometer". It senses and gives you a visual trace image of your gun's movement through the hold and trigger press, shot release and recoil. It will absolutely catch a flinch ! I find it definitely worth having though I will also say its not perfect but for the price ($149), I'll keep it.
I must admit that my scores went down after purchasing it (which was disappointing) but I would say that was more to do with a prior rotator cuff injury and doing a lot of dry firing just irritated an old injury.
greentangerine

Post by greentangerine »

Had mine for a few days now; also bought the adaptor for use on competition air pistols.

Have to say it adds an interesting element to dry firing practice; picks up the trigger fine on the standard setting and the analysis is useful. Yet to use it on the range. Will also be using it on my KK300 rifle.

Hopefully some improvement will be derived from it. Having used a borrowed Scatt a few years back, this is a definite improvement.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Any update on your Mantisx usage.

Made your dry fire more productive? Or would you just stick to your old fashion hold and dry fire exercise?

Thought about X2 ($99) vs X3 for garage dry fire training?
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

I now have one. I have not used it extensively, but I have used it on a 10m PCP pistol.
I got mixed results dry firing, but the Mantis folks provided a custom 'tune' that improved things. The customer service is fantastic, with personal attention to make it work.

I have tried it on the range once, and again had mixed results with live fire. It would pick up 80-90% of my shots, but the strange thing was that the motion traces were VERY different than dry firing. They were showing a consistently high level of motion compared to dry firing. I have yet to troubleshoot further to see what is going on.

If nothing else, I think it helps me maintain focus so I don't get as sloppy as quickly....

marky-d