Returning to the sport

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cashye15

Returning to the sport

Post by cashye15 »

Hi All,
As the subject says I'm making a full return to the sport after a 10 year lay off from competition shooting. Having sold off all ISSF pistols and only retaining only my Ruger Old Army and shooting just enough to keep my licence, due to my military service commitments it's now time to get back into full swing of ISSF shooting. I have recently purchased a Manurhin MR73 .32 for Centre Fire and now looking at a Styer EVO jnr ( not sure which Elec or Man), a Pardini or FWB 93 .22
I'm very open to feed back about my choices.
Thanks in advance. I'm in Sydney Australia.
John.
deadeyedick

Re: Returning to the sport

Post by deadeyedick »

Manurhin MR 73 March a great choice.

Wait and check the new Walther LP 500 due next month.

Pick the Pardini over the AW 93.

These are my personal preferences and may vary from one shooter to another.....try before you buy.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Second the above post..

( Welcome back )
Leadbelly

Post by Leadbelly »

You have been out of precision shooting for 10 years. I just started back shooting Air Pistols and PTO's
about 6 weeks ago. The coach ask me if I had shot Olympic air pistols before. I answered yes I shot the FWB CO2 in PTO's 32 Years ago. I had my Crosman 1701P pistol shooting then and he ask if I wanted to try the Morini. I WAS HOOKED AGAIN. I got my Morini CM 162EI Electronic Trigger Air Pistol two weeks ago and love it. ( A very expensive choice for a 72 year old man. ) I practice at least 3 times a week at the range and dry fire every day. My doctor has the Walther GSP 22lr & 32 and a Hammerli Free pistol. I will be shooting those as soon as weather permits. All that being said - TRY OUT AS MANY PISTOLS AS POSSIBLE to see which works best for you. One good thing about shooters, they usually like to help each other and will let you shoot their guns.
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

All modern pistols are good. It comes to the personal feelings and preferences. Electronic trigger gives more opportunities to train finger control through repetitive action, but Morini's electronic dry fire shoots feels better then on Styer. Plus Morini has a new model coming. Don't think it has already reached Australia though. Pardini has a good balance and soft recoil, but also tricky trigger adjustment and frequent problems with the firing pin - it is very thin and can easily break when misused. AW93 not only looks great, but has a softer trigger and feels better in hand. But as has been mentioned, if you have an opportunity to try a few, that would be great.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

There is no high grade pistol in this world that has an easier trigger adjustment than the Pardini.Period.
I had a AW93 before. That's a really tricky one compared to Pardini.
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

Well, to me one screw inside another surrounded by 3 more screws seem difficult to figure out. In AW93 there was one screw that solved everything. I shot with both as well. But as I said before everyone have their own preferences :-)
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

So you never found the others? Should be 5 totally if l recall.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

deadeyedick wrote:
Pick the Pardini over the AW 93.

These are my personal preferences and may vary from one shooter to another.....try before you buy.
Of these two, I agree as well. Not a fan of the AW93 trigger.

IMHO, Matchgun MG2/MG4 has a superior trigger to anything in 22/32.
David M

Post by David M »

The one limitation of the AW93 is the grip frame with the magazine up the grip.
It limits the hand size that can use the pistol and severly limits what you can do
with grips (to much metal in the grip frame).
If the gun fits your hand size and you have a good reach for the trigger then it is
fine, but if you have short fingers then it is a poor choice.

A trigger on any pistol can be a problem because most shooters fiddle when they don't know
what they are doing or how to set it up.

The two easiest triggers to set up well are the Hammerli (280/SP20) and the Morini CM22.
They are well laid out and adjustable in all aspects.
The Pardini can be a problem, it does not have a full weight range over all stages (so setting
a good single stage can be tricky). Also watch the minimum sear set.
The AW93 if set as a break like glass trigger will not hold its setting for any length of time.
It needs to be set with a small amount of rolloff to be reliable in trigger weight over time.
Also to set the second stage contact you need to remove the side plate, set it, re-install
then set the trigger weight ( trigger weight varies with side plate on or off).