Benelli MP90 Trigger question.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Amati

Benelli MP90 Trigger question.

Post by Amati »

Just installed the MP90 trigger group in my new MP95. Went in tight because of the two rubber shock dampers but it fit very nice and tight and it has all the adjustments one can wish for.

I remember reading somewhere that this trigger group has a "dry fire" setting but the manual is silent on this and looking at all the elements of the trigger I can't identify any such setting either.

Fact or internet fiction?

Thanks.
Coolmeester

Re: Benelli MP90 Trigger question.

Post by Coolmeester »

Fiction
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
Amati

Post by Amati »

Coolmeester wrote:Fiction
Thank you!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Amati wrote:Just installed the MP90 trigger group in my new MP95. Went in tight because of the two rubber shock dampers but it fit very nice and tight and it has all the adjustments one can wish for.

I remember reading somewhere that this trigger group has a "dry fire" setting but the manual is silent on this and looking at all the elements of the trigger I can't identify any such setting either.

Fact or internet fiction?

Thanks.
Depends on what you mean, and the vintage of the trigger. There is no button or lever that you can activate to put it in "dry fire mode". The earliest triggers allowed you to dry fire with a red plastic arch that fit between front of the bolt and the breech face. They had problems with the disconnector function not being positive enough, and added a flat topped lever on top of the trigger assembly that used the cross pin in the bolt to hold the disconnector down until the bolt was mostly closed. However, that killed the dry fire feature. Later revisions of the lever used a bump on top that allowed you to use the empty chamber plug as a dry fire device. It prevents the hammer from falling when the bolt is still open, but over a smaller distance.
Old Disconnector sm.jpg
New Disconnector Before Fitting sm.jpg
I have two Benellis that had the earlier lever design that didn't allow dry firing. I since fitted one with the newer style lever so I can dry fire it easily. I'll do the second one someday... This is not a trivial job, as it required very careful fitting of a safety related device.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Gwhite wrote:Later revisions of the lever used a bump on top that allowed you to use the empty chamber plug as a dry fire device. It prevents the hammer from falling when the bolt is still open, but over a smaller distance.
This part: http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Cham ... 60064.aspx

As Gwhite says, the size and shape are critical, it brings the bolt (and disconnector) into just the right spot. You get a very light click dryfire, which is quite easy to recock. A flush-fitting chamber plug gives more of a full cycle, which gets kind of hard on the fingers after a long practice round. The Benelli OEM part is certainly expensive for a hunk of plastic, though.

The trigger group will be easier to reinstall as those two rubber bumpers bed in. You might want to be sure you have them seated properly. The holes start out cylindrical but they taper at the bottom. You have to sort of screw the rubber into them to get them all the way down before installing.
Amati

Post by Amati »

Thanks guys, valuable advice.
Actually the little red plug is in my box but I dismissed it as just another empty chamber flag.
Glad you chimed in.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

-TT- wrote:The trigger group will be easier to reinstall as those two rubber bumpers bed in. You might want to be sure you have them seated properly. The holes start out cylindrical but they taper at the bottom. You have to sort of screw the rubber into them to get them all the way down before installing.
I have recently replaced a couple of the trigger guard bumpers. The official ones from Larry's Guns cost $2.52 each.

Given that I have over 20 Benellis to keep working, I have determined that 10mm chunks of 1/8" (actual 0.139" diameter) O-ring stock from McMaster Carr should make a good alternative. Their part # 9407K12 costs $1.20 for 3 feet (minimum order). This is Durometer 70 stiffness. The factory ones (which may have hardened a bit in storage) are a little stiffer. It's not a particularly critical application.

If you just need a couple, it's basically a question of who you can assemble a worthwhile order from. If you need some other parts from Larry's, that may be cheaper than putting together a McMaster order. I buy from them all the time, so it costs next to nothing to toss a foot of the stuff onto an order.
Amati

Post by Amati »

Gwhite wrote: Given that I have over 20 Benellis to keep working ....
Literally, twenty? I'm beginning to like mine after the MP90 trigger installation and I wonder if I should get numero due as a back-up since I shoot all 3X900 in .22lr.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The team I help coach has 21, covering a wide range of vintages, and I have two of my own to keep running. I had one for many years, but I made the mistake of letting my daughter shoot it. She has announced that it is now "hers", so I had to buy another one....
Amati

Post by Amati »

Now I know whom to contact if mine needs help.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I'm still learning, but I've dealt with a LOT of different issues over the years. One advantage of having multiple pistols is that I can compare and contrast a couple to see what the differences are. Because the Benelli is very modular, I can swap trigger & bolt groups to diagnose subtle issues. We keep a spare "super bolt" handy that can be swapped in quickly in case of a broken firing pin or extractor, but it's also been gone over very carefully to be as reliable as possible in multiple pistols. My eventual goal is to go over all of them in a similar fashion to eliminate any ammo sensitivity, and make them robust to infrequent cleanings & erratic lubrication.

The students are responsible for maintenance, and some of them are less meticulous than others. I've made a set of YouTube videos, but I can't release them to the public until I put a disclaimer on them mandated by the school lawyers....
Amati

Post by Amati »

First, should I buy a spare "super bolt"? My MP95/90 is my only .22lr gun and I shoot all 3 X 900 with it. I have the MP95 spare trigger group and firing pins but nothing else.

Second, what ammunition do yours like best?

Third, check your PM.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

A spare bolt is pricey. I don't keep one for my own pistols, even though I have two. If you are just shooting locally, I wouldn't bother. When the team goes to the National Championships with 8 or 9 Benellis, it's a good insurance policy. I rarely travel with the team, and it's a repair the other coaches can make quickly.

As for ammo, mine works great with Aguila Standard Velocity. It's also pretty cheap. I used to shoot Eley "Target", and I did some tests to compare the two. The recoil is indistinguishable, and the accuracy is fine. I shot CCI for a long time, but it got very hard to buy for many years, especially at a reasonable price. I started buying Eley Target because if I was going to have to pay $600 a case, I'd rather shoot Eley than CCI.