Gripsize feinwerkbau aw93

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
netje

Gripsize feinwerkbau aw93

Post by netje »

Hello,

Considering buying a .22 match pistol.
Been shooting for 18y with a buck mark (+many other) and its becomming time to let it go to pension.
Would like to buy a pistol thats above my ability to see where i stand so it's a .22 olympic pistol or a free pistol.

Where i live the easiest pistols to obtain seem to be the Walther ssp and the feinwerkbau aw93.

Walther offers different gripsizes and Feinwerkbau say's one size fits all (large).
I can't handle the pistols, it's ordering from a leaflet (so to speak).
I wear racegloves size XXL so i realy wonder if indeed the large grip of the Feinwerkbau fits all?

Thx for any input.
northpaw

Re: Gripsize feinwerkbau aw93

Post by northpaw »

netje wrote: Walther offers different gripsizes and Feinwerkbau say's one size fits all (large).
I wear racegloves size XXL so i realy wonder if indeed the large grip of the Feinwerkbau fits all?
You do. The FWB-aw93 grip "one size fit all" is made for buyers like you in mind, i guess.

The aw 93 grip has a very large volume, and you can`t grin off much wood, -you will "hit metal".
With the palm rest in its uppermost position, I`m still not able to get a comfortable/proper grip of the gun.

The FWB aw 93 has been with us for 25 years, and it`s faily popular among those with larger than average hands.
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

Aftermarket Rink grips should resolve any issues with fitting the AW93 to your hand. They have instructions on how to measure for their sizes. I expect if the grip is unmodified, they will exchange for another size or refund the purchase - but I'm in the USA so it's measure thrice and order once.

http://www.formgriffe.de/en/

Nill-Griffe also sells high quality match grips for the AW93 at about the same price and quality as Rink grips:

http://www.nill-shop.com/

For those with more 'merican interests, there is the 1911 grip conversion: http://www.cm-machine.com/Straight-Back ... _p_41.html

Champions Choice offers the FWB AW93 factory small grips along with the large (could not find medium or XL) - it's best to call first even though they are shown on the website: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... y&c=FIACFE
Last edited by 10M_Stan on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
ABerryhill

Post by ABerryhill »

I can also help with those grip issues for your your forthcoming AW93. I 3d-print custom target pistol grips and have an AW93 myself. It is a great gun. When I started making custom pistol grips I thought I'd be making lots of very small grips as there was a need for them with the college team I coach. However I probably now make at least as many for shooters with very large hands. One-size fits all is rarely the case for those guys and we don't do them any favors by trying to convince them otherwise.

Take look at my website for pictures of my work and search this site for lots of positive reviews.

Thanks for considering it.

All best,
Andrew

PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com
KH250

Post by KH250 »

"The trigger offers an adjustable trigger point with trigger stop. The sporting pistol possesses an automatic catch bolt after the fifth shot. The different grip sizes are available in right- and left-handed versions. Delivery in a special transport case."

Straight from the Feinwerkbau web site. The pistol has other grip sizes available. Rink grips have 6 sizes available.

Walther has 5 grip sizes in walnut XXS to L.
Ordering from a leaflet is a bit risky. Out of the box the Walther is 970 grams the AW93 is 1140 grams. The AW93 has a 1080 model available.For me the Walther was not heavy enough out of the box. The Walther has various weights available to up the weight. My SSP has a 140 gram dampened weight on the front.
Both are excellent pistols. But they are different pistols in layout and design. You should try before you buy.
If you intend mounting a red dot sight on the pistol I cannot help you with what is available, I shoot the ISSF matches.
KH250

Post by KH250 »

Putting a 1911 grip on the AW93?
It just becomes an expensive Buckmark.
Having the proper grip is part of the Olympic pistol experience. Get a quality Free pistol and shoot at 50m, that will let you see where you stand. A single shot pistol with a 5 gram trigger has limited use for other types of shooting.
joel

Post by joel »

I bought an AW93 brand new with small grip. This grip was stock from the factory and I have small hands. It fit great. The pistol will fit from small to large so no worries there as long as you order the correct size.

As for the Walther SSP, I have one of those and bought an after-market Rink grip in size small. Walther grips tend to run a bit small, but even the medium was a tad too big. Walther does not seem to offer a small sized grip for the SSP. It is a fantastic pistol, I like it better than the AW93, and Rink make nice grips. Rink also made grips for my Steyr FP and 215s that are excellent.

Joel
netje

Post by netje »

Thanks for all the info.

Contacted Feinwerkbau and Walther directly (Germany) to enquire fitment guidance.
Feinwerkbau only offers small and large, and large will fit me they say.
Still waiting on info from Walther.

I still see alot of interest online in the Walther Gsp expert, how does it compare to the AW93 and the SSP.
The GSP is about 15-20% cheaper or are the others worth the surplus?
The GSP seems to have a shorter barrel, does this have a big influence on accuracy?
joel

Post by joel »

The barrel length will play no part in accuracy. The AW93 and GSP are older pistols and are both very good. The SSP has little to no recoil and what little it has will be directed straight back and therefore allows for it to be especially suited for rapid fire. However, I use it and don't have interest, or rather, access, to shoot rapid fire. The AW93 trigger is a gem, but I found it to be very difficult to set up and work with. If you are happy with the way it comes from the factory, use it like that. I have no experience with the GSP though. I have a few of these target pistols and have used many, and I truly believe that the Hammerli 208s/215s has been the best for me. My 215s shoots any ammo, so far, and the trigger is a without peer.

My $0.02,

Joel
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

I'm not sure where one can fondle an AW93. For the Walther GSP, these guys are available: http://www.carlwalther.com/gsp.htm in the states.

What I notice about the AW93 is the dry fire feature and all steel construction (excluding the grips). The AW93 is a soviet (Russian) design. The Hammerli 208s/215/208 line are also an all steel soviet (Russian) design. Not to say the Walther GSP isn't a fine pistol, because it is. The Hammerli 208s/208/215 also have the same grip angle as the Colt 1911 pistol, which seems to make them popular with Bullseye shooters in the USA. The AW93 grip angle is not quite the same, but there are rumors that a company makes a 1911 grip adapter for Bullseye. Surprisingly enough those rumors say that same company makes a Hammerli 208s/208/215 grip adapter. All hear say.

Edit: here is a set of Nills grips for a Buckmark, if just changing grips is desired. Nills makes nice grips. http://us.nill-shop.com/Adjustable-Matc ... able-right