The Regulator in PCP pistols.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Elmas

The Regulator in PCP pistols.

Post by Elmas »

I was made to understand that the Regulator in air pistols controls the pressure stored in the pistol for the next shot . Every time the pistol is cocked , it bleeds a set amount of BAR from the pistol's air cylinder to bring about consistency in shot power and pellet speed .

The question is : Can one increase or decrease projectile speed by altering the spring(s) on he Regulator ?

If so , then will weaker Regulator 'springs' bring about increase power and projectile speed or decrease it ?

( I know it is easier to adjust shot power by the screw controlling the Hammer Spring )

elmas
j-team

Re: The Regulator in PCP pistols.

Post by j-team »

TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

The whole point about a regulator is that it is set way below the working pressure of the cylinder. So lets say you have a 200 bar cylinder and a 75 bar regulator, you can have steady shots from a 190 fill right down to 75. If the reg is setting at 120 (with stronger springs) you will get less shots at higher power with much earlier drop off and no extra accuracy. Absolutely no useful purpose in olympic sport even if you were able to adjust it.

P.s. I know someone who removed a reg from a PCP and took it apart hours later and the trapped air blew the parts across the work shop.
KH250

Post by KH250 »

I think this illustrates TenMetrePeter's point. LP50hp looks like regulator set to about 110 bar, slows down after 28 shots. My LP10e stays at a consistent velocity until around 65 bar. Do not know the difference in the regulators configuration. Do not plan on pulling it apart to find out.
Attachments
LP10e.jpg
LP50hp.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Also remember if you increase the regulator pressure in the pre charge tank,
the hammer force may then not be enough to even open the poppet valve.
If you don't know what you are doing then don't play with 200 bar, its
dangerous.
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

The 'pressure regulator' or 'regulator' in PCP airguns is a pressure regulating valve. Another name for such a valve is a pressure reducing valve; yet another adds 'control' in front of those names (i.e. control pressure reducing valve). These generally contain no user serviceable parts and many are 'fixed' and non-adjustable. Persons unfamiliar with pneumatics and PCP airguns will tend to casually take them apart, but it's generally a bad idea since they work with high pressure and are one of the more critical components on an airgun. Considering the price of these airguns and the desire to keep them shooting accurately, having the regulator serviced by someone familiar with their operating characteristics that can repair or replace them is best, IMO. It is the pressure regulator that encourages SCUBA air that is dry and clean to ensure a long and trouble free operation life.

Many manufacturer's (Steyr comes to mind) have a complete diagram with all the exploded parts for components - including the pressure regulator assembly and trigger assembly. I suppose persons inclined to disassemble the trigger would also disassemble the regulator. Of course, restraint in disassembly of the pressure regulator and trigger assemblies is my opinion and some have the skill and talent to perform those tasks very well: I have noticed those same people don't ask for help.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Here are a couple good threads about tuning regulated PCPs:
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/in ... ic=74919.0
http://airgunguild.com/ask-bob/tuning-a-regulated-pcp/

They're from the standpoint of tuning hunting or FT/HFT airguns with an adjustable regulator to get a desired power level with good efficiency, flat shot string and low ES.

Precision target guns are setup from the factory to be operating just to the right of the knee for a flat shot string with low ES.