Benelli Kite trigger problems

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
hurt

Benelli Kite trigger problems

Post by hurt »

Howdy! Have. Benelli Kite Young... suddenly, sometimes it won’t fire? Took the grip off and i can see the “firing pin”... it catches rearward but will not always release? There seems plenty of aftertravel in the trigger but it won’t let go when trigger is pulled! If i recock it a few times it will work. This is in dry fire mode but happens live fire as well. Any ideas out there? Thanks
Gwhite

Re: Benelli Kite trigger problems

Post by Gwhite »

That's an odd one. The team I coach has 16 Kites, and I don't recall running into that. I've attached some notes I have on sear adjustment, but the problem we've encountered is the pistol firing unexpectedly, not failing to fire.

The mechanism is pretty simple. The trigger pivots, and the back end swings up to hit a lever. That lever releases the sear, after contacting a spring loaded ball bearing in a compound screw which controls the 2nd stage. The sear allows the "hammer" (spring loaded piston) to go forward and knock the firing valve open. I thought I had some detailed drawings of the inner workings, but I can't seem to find them at the moment. I'll keep looking.

One possibility is that the compound screw that controls the 2nd stage is either sticking, or mis-adjusted. There's an outer screw that sets when the 2nd stage starts, and an inner screw that sets the 2nd stage force. The inner screw is "H", and it controls the spring pressure on the small ball bearing (Part #074C). If that ball is sticking, that could do what you describe. Also, if the outer screw was screwed in too far, it would also cause the same problem. The inner screw is described in the adjustment instructions. However, the outer screw isn't listed. It is part #021Z in the exploded diagram. Caution!: There is a locking screw on the side of the action that must be loosened before attempting to adjust the outer screw.
Attachments
Benelli Kite Sear Adjustment.pdf
(674.8 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
hurt

Post by hurt »

GWhite...YOU are the man! I saw all those unexplained screws...till you explained them!! I loosened set screw, adjusted the outside slotted screw slightly and retightened set screw. So far...problem has been silenced!!! Thanks for the guru advice! Dwaine
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I found my drawings of the inner workings of the Kite firing system, but I'm afraid they are incomplete and need a good bit of work.

If the US government shutdown occurs, the Coast Guard Academy won't be able to travel to Boston for a two day pistol match against my team this weekend. If that happens, I can use some of the freed up time to work on the drawings.

The second stage in the Kite is somewhat similar to what is used in the Benelli standard pistols. The inner screw controls the force of the 2nd stage, and the outer screw controls when the trigger mechanism hits the ball bearing to begin the 2nd stage. On the Kites, they come from the factory set up so the 2nd stage starts just before the sear releases, so you get a crisp "breaking" trigger. I haven't tried it, but I suspect you can lengthen the 2nd stage a little by screwing the outer screw in a bit, but you run the risk of blocking the sear, which sounds like what happened on yours.
hurt

Post by hurt »

Sounds good! Hopefully your team gets to shoot! Perhaps your drawings can wait till after the match....and after the Patriots game! Or during the game... if you don’t fancy football or the Pats! Thanks for all the expert advice you post here on Target Talk!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Well, Coast Guard can't come, so we're having a practice match instead...