TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 pm 

Can anyone explain the proper procedure for swapping it the rear sight blade on a Hammerli 208 International. The best I’ve been able to find is an exploded diagram which is of little use, and a thread here with only a partial answer. In the picture here you can see there is a flush-inserted pin in the 8 O’clock position that appears to retain the edge of the adjustment screw. The thread I found from years ago indicates that pin needs to be removed in order to remove the blade. It offers no explanation as to how to remove either though. The other size does not provide access to punch the pin out. Can anyone explain the procedure, or do I need a special tool?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:46 pm 

Here is the opposite side. The only access it seems is to what appears to be the other end of the screw, but not the pin(?).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:04 am 

Have you tried simply unscrewing (turning CW) the rear sight windage adjustment screw? On every rear sight I've disassembled in a similar configuration, all that pin does is serve to engage the detents - which prevents the screw from turning freely - and provide click adjustments. Care should be taken since that pin is likely spring loaded and the pin or spring could be lost upon removal of the screw. A cleaver approach to perform such a disassembly is to perform the work in a two gallon clear zip lock bag - which tends to retain any parts. Once that screw is removed, the rear sight blade should slide out from its recess - if not then carefully replace all the parts in the order removed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 pm 

10M_Stan wrote:
Have you tried simply unscrewing (turning CW) the rear sight windage adjustment screw? On every rear sight I've disassembled in a similar configuration, all that pin does is serve to engage the detents - which prevents the screw from turning freely - and provide click adjustments. Care should be taken since that pin is likely spring loaded and the pin or spring could be lost upon removal of the screw. A cleaver approach to perform such a disassembly is to perform the work in a two gallon clear zip lock bag - which tends to retain any parts. Once that screw is removed, the rear sight blade should slide out from its recess - if not then carefully replace all the parts in the order removed.

Thank you, Stan. I have not tried that, but it’s the only suggestion I’ve had so far. I reached out to Larry as well for some instruction. That’s a great trick of using a zip lock bag to retain flyaways. I guess I just want to be sure I’m able to put it all back together correctly as well. I recall having a hell of a time trying to set a missing spring beneath my Model 41 sight (elevation adjustment) - I suspect there must have been some technique I was missing. I eventually got it seated but it was a frustrating process - that bag trick would have come in handy! Thanks for taking the time to respond. If I don’t hear back from Larry in a couple of days I’ll give it a try. Either way, I’ll post the results here.