Should I Join USA Shooting?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
K38

Should I Join USA Shooting?

Post by K38 »

I Used to belong to USA Shooting. I looked at the match schedule and basically there aren't any. I'm old and other than the fact that I have some time for shooting now there is basically not much in the way of ISSF shooting to be had in the USA. I'm primarily interested in pistol so I'm leaving this post here. The equipment requirements are probably the lowest of the shooting ISSF events. I watch World Cup and Olympic finals on YouTube and I don't see many USA shooters in pistol (could very well be that I just haven't watched the right ones) The sort of shooting events that seem popular here usually are of the pray and spray variety . I'm sure they take their own kind of skill and preparation but It isn't my idea of a good time or marksmanship. I shoot for myself and I like to read about the history of competitive shooting. There is some NRA type bullseye shooting around Texas and I may try some of that.

I was under the impression that the national federations of the ISSF were supposed to support and sponsor grassroots shooting at several levels below the national team. I did write to the ISSF and USAS and as you might expect I received no answer at all. The major gun organization in the United States which was founded to encourage marksmanship does not seem very interested in that any more and I have no desire for anything like a political discussion of any kind. Not here, not ever.

And yes, I did devote many years to coaching youth small bore teams in my former home, and no they were not my own kids. I taught school all day and then went across the street to our little 4H rifle range and spent several hours a week teaching kids to shoot and handle guns safely. One of them is now our financial advisor!

I fear if we do not shake a few branches at the ISSF and USAS that the sport will just fade away.

D.