Unique DES/69 Variations???

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
fc60

Unique DES/69 Variations???

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I have a Unique DES/69 that "mostly" looks like the parts list.

My pistol has an adjustable trigger (loosen two screws and it slides forth and back). The parts list shows it as one piece (no adjustment for length). Which is the newer design?

Looking at my rear sight assembly, the end has a radius that fits nicely into a matching slot with a radius. The parts list show a rear sight with a square end and the receiver having a slot milled straight through. Again, which is the newer design?

Is there a way to date these pistols based on the Serial Number on the frame?

Cheers,

Dave
Dr. Jim

Re: Unique DES/69 Variations???

Post by Dr. Jim »

Hi David, the earliest version of the des69 had a fixed trigger mounted in the frame. The second version has the trigger blade mounted on a slotted round bar and thus adjustable for length of pull. Mine is this form and I purchased it new in 1976 -the serial number is in the 731000 range. As I recall the final version had a straight blade on a mostly similar base unit but the trigger guard was pushed out in a fashion much like used on the later 'U' series guns. That's all I can give you.

Cheers Jim
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings Jim,

Many thanks for the information.

Mine is serial 732xxx, so I suspect it is about the same vintage as yours.

Cheers,

Dave
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Right you are David! Enjoy it. While I have half a dozen other 22s available it remains one of my favourites.

Cheers!
JariN

Post by JariN »

Dr. Jim wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:29 pm Hi David, the earliest version of the des69 had a fixed trigger mounted in the frame. The second version has the trigger blade mounted on a slotted round bar and thus adjustable for length of pull. Mine is this form and I purchased it new in 1976 -the serial number is in the 731000 range. As I recall the final version had a straight blade on a mostly similar base unit but the trigger guard was pushed out in a fashion much like used on the later 'U' series guns. That's all I can give you.

Cheers Jim
About trigger variations. I have shot the earliest version des69 with fixed trigger blade. That model has no adjustment for sear engagement.
According to user manual, des69-u (from ~1986 onwards) does have adjustable sear engagement.

Question is, do the later models of des69 have adjustable seat engagement or was this feature first introduced in des69-u?
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

The des 69 and the 69U are totally different as to trigger construction and even magazine. This is in part due to the increased angularity of the U versions. The second version des69 has a sear adjustment internal to the frame, it could only be accessed with the stocks off. The U versions common between the 22 and 32 have the sear adjust through a hole in the rear of the frame and stock. First and second stage adjustments are through the complex of screws inside screws in front of the trigger blade. Adjusting the original design is simple, dealing with the later design takes a great deal of patience and a good trigger scale. Have fun, it’s a test of analysis!

Cheers Dr Jim
black910

Post by black910 »

Hello folks. My DES69 is 747XXX and it has a straight aluminum trigger blade with one set screw.
I guess mine is considered as the later model.
I love the pistol so much because of its balance and super crisp trigger.
Very accurate and reliable iron tank! Eats all 22lr ammo I feed and prints nice and tight grouping.
I shot this pistol just about 5,000 rounds so far without noticeable malfunctions.

Only complain that I have on DES69 is case ejection angle.
Ejects cases upwards almost straight and they tends to fall on you when you are shooting...quite annoying!
Brass catcher is not good use for this guy :(
Otherwise this is my go-to iron sight rim fire pistol for STD Pistol and CMP EIC games.

Cheers!
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Learn to shoot canting the gun. Then you can consistently drop the ejected cases down the back of the neck of your closest competitor on either side of you!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I knew a smallbore competitor that swore the ejector on his BSA Martini MK III was every bit as accurate as the barrel. He'd try to get squadded two points to the left of the guy to beat. Fire a shot, tip the rifle & hit the action lever. He finished a prone match early, to find a pile of brass in the small of the back of his intended victim...
zhangtony

Post by zhangtony »

Hi,

This is my first post here. I have DES 69 one in early curved non-movable trigger in 716XXX serial, and two with straight triggers on a bar that can be moved front and back, and they are in 765XXX and 770XXX serials. The latter one comes with advertisement of 1983 results so I think it was made that year?

The straight triggers feel better than the earlier ones.

And Gwhite, I have the same experience with my BSA International Mk II. Brass rain on the head of the shooter on the right side!