Scatt question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gimgim

Scatt question

Post by gimgim »

I am trying to understand how the Scatt system works.

From looking at the pictures (Scatt USB, if it makes a difference), it seems to work (roughly, to keep description simple) as the Wii controller, with the target beaming infrared LED lights and a receiving camera mounted on the barrel, that triangulates the position of the target.
Perhaps the system also does the opposite, with a beam from the gun and two cameras on the target.
What I am missing is how does the system detects the dry fire. My guess is an acoustical sensor, but I am not sure whether this is the case.
Can anybody knowledgeable with the inner workings help?
Thanks!
Gwhite

Re: Scatt question

Post by Gwhite »

The unit that mounts to the pistol has an acoustic/vibration sensor that picks up the "click" of dry firing. Some pistols have a subtler click than others, and occasionally there are problems with missed shots. That can usually be fixed by moving the sensor closer to the trigger, or attaching the sensor to the frame rather than the air cylinder. For example, if you attach the sensor to the cylinder way out front, and the cylinder isn't in firm contact with the frame, you can miss shots.

I haven't heard of this being an issue for a while, so they may have fixed the sensitivity in newer models to avoid the problem. It's pretty rare in any event.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Some but maybe not all Scatts have a shot sensitivity setting that you can control in the app. I've not needed to tweak it.

The Scatt USB does use an IR array built into the target frame, and the sensor on the gun interacts with it. I'm not certain if it's two-way, but I don't think so. The live-fire models are camera-based, and work by optically recognizing the appropriate target at the expected size and range. In my experience, these models are quite sensitive to lighting, indoors. The USB models are much more forgiving, in this respect.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I have the SCATT WS1 wireless version. The sensors on the target track the movement of the gun (creating your trace) and there is an acoustic sensor to track the dry fire and place the shot on the screen. The sensitivity of the sensor can be set in the software program. The SCATT works great when working on my hold, trigger release and group size. Due to a surgery I had to adjust my stance and the SCATT gave me instant feedback on whether my adjustments were working. I am certain it would have taken me much longer to work it out without the SCATT.
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin